Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: pursuit direction and restraining  (Read 557 times)

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
pursuit direction and restraining
« on: November 10, 2023, 01:24:31 PM »
We had an instance where TuG A charged TuG B contacting the flank of one of its bases, but not qualifying as a flank charge.
In fact 1 base of A contacted the front corner of B's front rank base and another base of A contacted the flank edge of B's second rank base.

TuG A broke in melee and after casualty removal, the only base remaining was the one contacting B's flank. This base routed to its rear, which was about 45 degrees to B's facing.

Which direction does B pursue in?  To its front, to its flank, or in the direction of the rout, or not at all?

Second question, not relating to this incident:

F1 can be combined in the same turn with:

(from pdf 2.I)
Charge  - yes
Countercharge or intercept - not clear, has this uG charged or not?
C3 stop a forced charge - probably no as it is a prompted action but clearly not a charge and the only combination explicitly allowed is combining with a move. Or is controlling pursuit a "move"?
MF1 and MF 2 - yes
M9 to initiate a melee from a flank edge to flank edge contact  - no. Was that intended?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: pursuit direction and restraining
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 02:10:15 PM »
Pursuers wheel and/or turn in whatever combination moves them as close as possible to the broken enemy they are pursuing.

In answer to the second question - probably not!  Personally I would allow an F1 to any unit regardless of any actions undertaken previously.  That isn't what is written, just what I would do.  (Sometimes MeG is too clever for its own good!).

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 02:55:01 PM »
Must confess I'd never even considered that an F1 could not be done if some other actions had been undertaken  ;D

I'd also suggest that it should also probably be allowed in the Charge Phase - as it stands it is a Fighting Phase only action - also the Shooting Phase?
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 06:39:33 PM »
Pursuers wheel and/or turn in whatever combination moves them as close as possible to the broken enemy they are pursuing.

Richard

Thanks. Now I know what to look for I found it at pdf 8.D.7.

philfigo

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »
In this case it's the pursuer who turns, but other times it's the routed who turns, to be as far as.
8B 4.2. At the start of the rout, the routing UG wheels and/or turns as necessary so it ends as far as possible from:
(This notion is not obvious)
does "as far as" mean in terms of distance measured or reachable by the pursuer?
e.g.: if unit A (entirely on the flank) causes unit B to be routed.
1) B routs by turning to A
2) B routs to its rear or front (at the risk of being closer to one of A's elements)