Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lurkio late Romans  (Read 6544 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Lurkio late Romans
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 07:31:27 AM »
Really impressive 4th and 5th century Roman armies Nik. The Donnington Alans are excellent too. Do you have any idea of what their Blemmye are like? I've ordered some of the Forged in Battle figures and was wondering how they'd mix.

No idea I'm afraid - although size-wise I'd expect them to mix OK.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Cyrus

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2020, 12:18:10 AM »
No worries, thanks for that.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »
A third cavalry unit for my C4th Romans. 15mm Khurasan Miniatures figures with LBMS shield transfers - these are the Equites Mauri Feroces. Based as flexible cavalry which allows them to be formed up or skirmishers - one of the really nice mechanisms in MeG  :)

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »
Nice Nik
List bounced...

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
Currently going through the "to paint" pile and sorting out additions/options for existing armies. These are some skirmishers and another legionarii unit for my C5th Romans.

Plantagenet

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
Really nice units Nik, for some reason I've always restricted my Roman interests to Republican and Early Imperial but the visual appeal of these has peaked my interest for sure, plus of course, the LIR have always been the army with the greatest variety of units and tactical flexibility. 

Any reason at all while you've gone for Khurasan vs Forged in Battle? FiB seem very popular these days and I have a bunch or their Norman Knights as a bolt on for my mostly Legio Heroica Crusaders.  FiB have expanded now to cover the LIR too with their Dark Ages III update to their ancients line, not looked at them closely though.

Must admit too I'm seriously considering binning DBMM from my list of rules to cover with regards to basing flexibility.  I've not really got any interest in playing them at all (albeit a couple of folks in these parts still do) so it's very much a 'just in case' consideration.  I was never keen on the 15mm narrow bases tipping over all the time and, most of all, I do like the idea of basing in 4s and 3s as markers for Flexible troops (or 3 and 2 for cavalry) and keeping markers off the table, reduces the figure count too, albeit only marginally.  The other rules that I need to retain the flexibility to play are basing agnostic where figure count and base depth are concerned (or at least I'm 90% certain they are, need to do a quick double check before breaking out PVA / Super Glue) so it's something I may well opt to do.  I like the idea of the single based archer for an integral marker too, had kinda got fixated on the need to place a Skirmish bow stand behind each file, of course, not necessary at all.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2020, 02:38:38 PM »
Any reason at all while you've gone for Khurasan vs Forged in Battle? FiB seem very popular these days and I have a bunch or their Norman Knights as a bolt on for my mostly Legio Heroica Crusaders.  FiB have expanded now to cover the LIR too with their Dark Ages III update to their ancients line, not looked at them closely though.

My C4th and C5th Romans are a mixture of manufacturers. The infantry is Lurkio and PSC, the cavalry is Khurasan for the Equites/Illyricani, FiB for catafracts and horse archers, Donnington for ALans and PSC for Huns and Goths. Basically went with the figures I thought were best for the various different troops.

In respect of the FiB range specifically I think the infantry are not as good as the Lurkio/PSC ones and especially the poses, likewise I preferred the Khurasan equites. I did get horse archers from their Late Roman range as I liked them in the pileus hat and used catafracts from their Palmyran range as well (prefer them to the ones in the Roman range).

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
Some 15mm Lurkio Huns to be used as a bucellarii unit in my MeG C5th Roman army.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »
Was a bit unhappy with the Forged in Battle catafracts I had for my C4th CE Romans so took the opportunity of replacing them with Khurasan Miniatures ones when I ordered the Mongol figures for use as my Khitans. The FiB ones went to the slave market which provided the funds and contributed to the Khitans which was nice  :) Definitely think these are nicer; however, still have niggles but don't think there are any currently available in 15mm that I prefer, so they'll be fine until somebody does some I think are better  8)

LorenzoMele

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
Nice Alans Nick.
I recognize also sarnaticed goth figures.
From what range come the miniature with plumed helm and small round shield? Seems a Byzantine by equipment,
Rgds
Lorenzo

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2021, 06:02:27 PM »
That one is actually one of the PSC Imperial Roman catafract cavalry somewhat adapted. They come with a large oval shield :o which I cut away and used a small round shield to hide the damage, then removed the spear they are cast with and gave them a longer wire spear passing through both hands (that the plastic bends was helpful here). Bit of a botch really but they go OK in the unit.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:02 PM »
That one is actually one of the PSC Imperial Roman catafract cavalry somewhat adapted. They come with a large oval shield :o which I cut away and used a small round shield to hide the damage, then removed the spear they are cast with and gave them a longer wire spear passing through both hands (that the plastic bends was helpful here). Bit of a botch really but they go OK in the unit.

Hi Nik,

Nice paintwork! and thanks for the tip, I'll try to do on the TUG of cataphracts in preparation.

Kind regards.

Gilles