Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lurkio late Romans  (Read 6543 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Lurkio late Romans
« on: March 18, 2020, 03:11:29 PM »
Lurkio are about to release a new range of late Romans - which will also be in plastic via PSC. Simon kindly send me some pre-release samples of the legionarii so I painted tham.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Lurkio late Romans
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »
Nice work.

Lanceflint

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
I was going to put in an order to legion heroica, but I think these will do!

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:02:37 PM »
I was going to put in an order to legion heroica, but I think these will do!

You know how, at the weekend, I said how much I liked the Legio Heroica figures - having finished these I think I now like these more  ;D

Simon Hall tells me the full range has the cavalry to go with the infantry as well  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Rino

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »
How do they mix with legio heroica in terms of size?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:50:36 AM »
Pretty much the same height, a little slimmer in look and the shields are a little smaller.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:48 AM »
Pretty much the same height, a little slimmer in look and the shields are a little smaller.

Hi Nik,

are they mixable with the essex miniatures late roman range ?

Best regards.

Gilles

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:05:19 AM »
No, they are noticeably taller.

Sell the Essex figures and replace with the Lurkio ones IMO, they are much better  ;D

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »
Quick pics to compare them to Legio Heroica.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »
No, they are noticeably taller.

Sell the Essex figures and replace with the Lurkio ones IMO, they are much better  ;D

Thanks a lot for your help, I will keep my essex minis ( my prefered dealer of lead ) and use the lurkio in different units.

I will sell the 3 plastic roman boxes I pre-ordered and buy the lead figures , just find the sculpting Great! stunning!

I'm a lead addict ;-)
a sample of my Celtae Seniores below

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:16:38 PM by PUNCH »

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Thanks a lot for your help, I will keep my essex minis ( my prefered dealer of lead ) and use the lurkio in different units.

Fair enough  :)

I will sell the 3 plastic roman boxes I pre-ordered and buy the lead figures , just find the sculpting Great! stunning!

FWIW the plastic Romans use the same masters as the metals I believe so should look identical. I have 2 boxes on order.

Like the Celtae BTW  8)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
First unit of the rebuilding of my C4th CE Roman army using the recently released Lurkio late Roman figures is done. This is the Secunda Britannica legio from the Notitia Dignitatum using LBMS shield transfers.

Includes a base with a simple conversion to legionarii armed with heavy clubs for fighting catafracts as described for battles under Constantine I and Constantius II. Archer marker for if the unit has the Integral Shooters characteristic.

Seven more of these to do  ;D

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 11:47:00 PM »
Very nice Nik, always a popular unit.
List bounced...

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:39 PM »
Legio Quinta Macedonica joins my C4th Roman army. Figures are Lurkio with LBMS shield transfers as usual - one of the few they do from the eastern section of the Notitia Dignitatum.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 11:16:02 AM »
Completed a camp for the C4th Romans. Manned by men from the Anglevarii auxilia as I had some spare LBMS shield transfers lying around  :)

Fortifications and tent from Baueda.