Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eastern Han volunteer army question  (Read 645 times)

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Eastern Han volunteer army question
« on: June 14, 2019, 03:46:32 AM »

On the Eastern Han list, on the volunteer army page, it has listed that you can regrade troops as mixed 1/3 close fighters, 2/3 missile troops.  Then on the line for them it lists those as standing army close fighters and standing army crossbowmen.  There are already standing army troops on the previous page listed like that.  Should this say volunteer army close fighters and volunteer army crossbowmen?  If this is the case, should the close fighters only be taken from Ji?  The notes say that if you combine any foot this way you must combine all foot this way - that would imply that if you combine any then you can't use Mao or Yan close fighters.  Is that correct?

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Han volunteer army question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:59:01 AM »

Also, is the volunteer army heavy cavalry supposed to be flexible?  Just looking through the other chinese regular cavalry I don't see any others like this, hence the question.

RocketSix

• TWZ Team
  • Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
The intention was that the combined TuG would be replacing the Ji close fighters and Nu Crossbowmen. Its a a bit different in that the Eastern Han was meant to be either Standing or Volunteer, whereas the Western Han could be Standing and Conscript (hence the Conscript Mao moves the the 'other troops' section) - which makes it clearer

The Heavy cavalry is an error and shoudl be Formed Loose (which also applies the Han Rebels - which also is in error)  - RJC can you make a note of that please?

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »
Thanks.

I'd missed the part about standing or volunteer armies being separate.

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:05:05 PM »

I wonder whether there should be more overall cavalry in the list?  Playing around with making an all mounted army at 10k you use almost all of it.  It doesn't leave much flexibility.  Perhaps that's the way it should be, but just passing on the observation.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »

I wonder whether there should be more overall cavalry in the list?  Playing around with making an all mounted army at 10k you use almost all of it.  It doesn't leave much flexibility.  Perhaps that's the way it should be, but just passing on the observation.

That is intentional.  If you want an entirely mounted Han army then you don't get much flexibility.

Richard

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »

I'm interested in building this but am curious about what some of the troop types are actually supposed to be.  I've been doing some research online and not getting a lot of clarity beyond the chinese army troops (regulars, whether volunteer or standing army).  Any recommendations on good sources describing the army?

What are dependent state cavalry?  Are these chinese or surrounding peoples (steppe peoples perhaps)?

How about the horse archers?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
Welcome to the "joys" of researching Chinese armies  :o  Information can be rather hard to track down due to the nature of Chinese historical writing - even more so than many others they just didn't tend to record the sort of things we'd like to see.

Dependent state cavalry were steppe.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."