Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: rules stability  (Read 251 times)

Jilu

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
rules stability
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »
Hello,

we have had our tournament in Moncheau.

An overal comment came to light: the  claries are in question in France/Belgium

it is rather annoying for people who play once a month to have the rules changed almost every month. The claries sometimes go too far and are more rules changes than claries.

the 2BW thing for contracting for instance changes a lot the way of playing.

We were talking about setting a fixed date with probably the claries of 01/01/2019.

Not everybody reads the forum, not everybody has the time to play a lot outside a few  tournaments and if things were true in april and not in june...it is not a positive experience. We will loose players ...

after would be good for optional during friendly games.

Having heard of armysheet changes for some tournaments it is putting people off too.

I myself am tired of the changes in the army lists, yesterday my troops had melee expert, today no more. I paint an army because i like the list and the next month it is rubish or much less attractive.

sorry for the ranting but it is becomming an issue.
Liberate me ex infernis

badhabum

• Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: rules stability
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:42:53 PM »
To put it  in simple words : it is compared to another former rule were rules could change from one tournament to another within a week or so ...

AntiokosIII

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
Itís like teething. The baby is born, everybody says itís beautiful and perfect. Then it ages a year, develops a bit, and it gets a bit cranky sometimes. Itís less attractive, but itís only a phase. Surely we can all see the way the Rules and list queries are steadily growing less frequent and more focused on small details, rather than bigger issues? The trivia is all thatís left, my friends, and soon even that will be more or less resolved.
A lot (never all, sadly) of this will be resolved by 2.0, both rules and lists. Then I can leave off learning the rules and concentrate on painting, playing, and finding new and creative ways to lose games I should have won. I assume thatís what we all want, right? This is just a phase.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »
Hello,

it is rather annoying for people who play once a month to have the rules changed almost every month. The claries sometimes go too far and are more rules changes than claries.

We were talking about setting a fixed date with probably the claries of 01/01/2019.

Not everybody reads the forum, not everybody has the time to play a lot outside a few  tournaments and if things were true in april and not in june...it is not a positive experience. We will loose players ...

Having heard of armysheet changes for some tournaments it is putting people off too.

I myself am tired of the changes in the army lists, yesterday my troops had melee expert, today no more. I paint an army because i like the list and the next month it is rubish or much less attractive.

Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
Hello,

No need to apologise.
Alas the 2BW restriction isn't a clarry it is an emergency rule change.
Cheese removal.  Perhaps i should have left if for 1/1/20 but had to make a call.
Apologies for it causing some irritation.

Rules and lists are very stable.
Almost nothing has changed since jan 1 except picking up clever interps that people come up with now and then, or closing a few gaps.

We have 2020 to look forward too with what will be title the MeG compendium: 3 games in one

PACTO
MAGNA
MAXIMUS

Or Vice Versa.

S

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:40:58 AM »
PS  I always encourage organisers to circulate the latest clarries a couple of times in run up to comps.
That way everyone playing comp games is always aware without having to look.

nikgaukroger

• Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 10:23:53 AM »
I'm pretty much with Si on this. Actual rules changes have been few, the majority of stuff has been to clear up interpretations, etc. - of course, if you have been playing other than the way intended you may well feel that these are rules changes, but they aren't really.

As was mentioned further above I think MeG is just at that phase where having become popular the players are now discovering areas that are not as clear as they could be and are pointing them out - IMO this is pretty normal for any popular rule set as the large number of games tests them to destruction in places. I expect this phase to pass over the course of this year.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

badhabum

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »
One of the problem is that some players just want stability and do not want many changes. Some players play but are happy with the rules as they are and do not go to the forum every day . Just once or twice a week . Some just go on their mother language forum.

One player had downloaded the army lists versions in december 2018 only to discover that some changes were made a little bit latter.

I would councel to post a message on each forum to tell people when some changes, even minor are made .

Ludwig

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 03:21:03 AM »
No need to apologise.
Alas the 2BW restriction isn't a clarry it is an emergency rule change.
Cheese removal.  Perhaps i should have left if for 1/1/20 but had to make a call.
Apologies for it causing some irritation.

Would someone Please tell me/us what the 2 base with "emergency change' is so that I can inform my friends???
What rule are we talking about??
Thanks,
Lenney

nikgaukroger

• Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:32:29 AM »
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
It used to have a 2BW distance limit and i removed it mistakenly.
Allows all sorts of cheesy dodging around troops in front of you which is unhealthy for the game.
Si

stuuk

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 08:21:56 PM »
It is a *really* necessary alteration.
Otherwise a 3-wide group with one base in front of you moves, then they contract, then they are on your flank.
What was in front is now behind and also within 1BW, so no counter-charge.

Reminds me a little of FoG v1 Romans on roller skates!

marshalney2000

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »
You mean a Romansí did not actually use roller skates to get on an enemy flank. I am sure I saw that in an Italian Swords and Sandals film so it must be historically accurate. I demand an army list change for fleet of wheels for all a Romans!!

Onurbm

• MeG Moderator
  • Auxilia
  • Wuji
    • View Profile
    • Ost de Rueil Malmaison
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »
 ;) ::) ;D :-X
Bruno

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 10:11:01 PM »
You mean a Romansí did not actually use roller skates to get on an enemy flank. I am sure I saw that in an Italian Swords and Sandals film so it must be historically accurate. I demand an army list change for fleet of wheels for all a Romans!!

Fleet of wheels ... i feel some chariot argument brewing.! ;)