Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the exact meaning of sub-Black?  (Read 953 times)

KaiserFranz

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
What is the exact meaning of sub-Black?
« on: May 20, 2024, 06:45:11 PM »
Hi guys,
on page 84, in the shooting example there are the following sentences:

"The Numidian starts at WHITE but is downgraded for Shield Cover and
downgraded again for shooting with reduced ranks, this is known as sub-BLACK. The Numidian rolls
the BLACK dice and obtains a wound. As the dice is sub-BLACK this wound is ignored (an S would
have inflicted a slowing effect)."

Neither in the Pacto- nor in the Magna-/Maxima-PDF (and also not in the compendium) I could find the definition of sub-Black.

Does anybody know?

Greets Franz

SimonStokes

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: What is the exact meaning of sub-Black?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 11:18:37 PM »
In the Pacto QRS under the "Die colour for shooting" section is states "Below BLACK = roll BLACK dice with slowing effects only."

daveparish

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 10:36:01 AM »
Hmm looking at the quote in the first post I think I might have been doing this wrong. I interpreted "Slowing effect only" as being that a Wound has a casualty and a slowing effect - and that if your dice was sub-Black then the wound would not do the casualty effect but would still do the slowing.

So to be clear if your shooting has two subtractions (so it starts at White then is reduced to Black and then to "sub-Black") does this mean:-

a) you have two chances out of six to get a slowing effect (the S and the Wound which only counts as a S)

b) you have one chance out of six to get a slowing effect (the S and the Wound counts for nothing)

KaiserFranz

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 12:45:31 PM »
In the Pacto QRS under the "Die colour for shooting" section is states "Below BLACK = roll BLACK dice with slowing effects only."

Thank you so much

SimonStokes

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 08:07:06 AM »
Hmm looking at the quote in the first post I think I might have been doing this wrong. I interpreted "Slowing effect only" as being that a Wound has a casualty and a slowing effect - and that if your dice was sub-Black then the wound would not do the casualty effect but would still do the slowing.

So to be clear if your shooting has two subtractions (so it starts at White then is reduced to Black and then to "sub-Black") does this mean:-

a) you have two chances out of six to get a slowing effect (the S and the Wound which only counts as a S)

b) you have one chance out of six to get a slowing effect (the S and the Wound counts for nothing)

We play your option a.  We could be equally wrong however.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 07:09:12 PM »

You are doing it correctly.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

daveparish

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 09:47:10 PM »

You are doing it correctly.

You say that but the quote from the Pacto rules given by the original poster says" As the dice is sub-BLACK this wound is ignored (an S would
have inflicted a slowing effect)." which reads like the Wound is completely ignored. Is this a case where the given example is a bit misleading?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 10:25:24 PM »
Apologies, was thinking Maximus/Magna  :P

In pacto only Skulls and S results cause slowing. Page 83 of the Pacto rules.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

daveparish

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 06:25:39 AM »
Ahh, thanks. Had missed that difference between Pacto and Maximus (RTFM strikes again!)