Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shooting the nearest base - possible unintended consequence  (Read 415 times)

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
Shooting the nearest base - possible unintended consequence
« on: April 04, 2024, 02:44:45 PM »
pdf 7.D.3. Shooting files must target the nearest base in the target file. As a result, they will generally
shoot at the front file unless they are shooting at them from behind their flank or rear. If
nearest base is not a valid target, for instance if it is engaged in combat, then the file may
not be targeted.

There are situations where a file can have bases within firing arc, but the nearest base is out of arc.

Also situations where a base within 1 base-width directly in front covers most of the shooter's front, but another base is the nearest base.

Shooting is not allowed in either of these cases. Was that intended?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting the nearest base - possible unintended consequence
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 02:58:32 PM »
pdf 7.D.3. Shooting files must target the nearest base in the target file. As a result, they will generally
shoot at the front file unless they are shooting at them from behind their flank or rear. If
nearest base is not a valid target, for instance if it is engaged in combat, then the file may
not be targeted.

There are situations where a file can have bases within firing arc, but the nearest base is out of arc.

Unusual to the degree I'm not worried about it* - I'd quote Battery Sergeant Major Williams on it  ;)

* this, of course, guarantees it'll happen to me at least twice in my next game  ;D

Also situations where a base within 1 base-width directly in front covers most of the shooter's front, but another base is the nearest base.

7 D 5 applies and the base that covers the front of the shooting file must be shot at and, therefore, is the target file whose front base you must shoot at.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 03:17:47 PM »

7 D 5 applies and the base that covers the front of the shooting file must be shot at and, therefore, is the target file whose front base you must shoot at.

7 D 3 also still applies, though, so there are two different "must shoot at" bases. Can you choose which one to shoot at? If 7 D 3 does not apply in this case, it would be worth adding "(exception: see 7.D.5)" to 7 D 3.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 03:25:27 PM »

7 D 3 also still applies, though, so there are two different "must shoot at" bases. Can you choose which one to shoot at? If 7 D 3 does not apply in this case, it would be worth adding "(exception: see 7.D.5)" to 7 D 3.

It does apply, however, as I said 7 D 5 defines the "target base" in this circumstance so there is just 1 where the nearest base "in the target file" must be shot at (unless 2 apply equally in which case it says the shooter chooses).
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 03:55:44 PM »
By the way, there's a typo in 7.D.6 "arc of file" should be "arc of fire".

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 04:32:02 PM »

File is defined in the glossary as: A base facing to its front and all bases in the BW corridor behind them that are facing in
the same direction and in contiguous contact as a column of bases. A single corridor may
have files facing to front flank and rear (4 in principle - although hard to achieve).

OK, so if we have three bases ABC in a column facing to the left, then we have three possible files:
A and all bases behind it;
B and all bases behind it;
C.

If 7.D.5 applies, I shoot at file "B and all bases behind it" instead of 7.D.3's "A and all bases behind it", but how do I derive this from the rules, and why do I need to derive it from the rules instead of the rules explicitly telling me this?
If 7.D.5 does not apply, is there anything to stop me shooting at file "B and all bases behind it" anyway?

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 04:34:19 PM »
By the way, there is a typo in 7.D.3:

Shooting files must target the nearest base in the target file. As a result, they will generally
not be targeted.

should be

Shooting files must target the nearest base in the target file. As a result, they will generally
shoot at the front base unless they are shooting at them from behind their flank or rear. If
not be targeted.

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 05:16:42 PM »
Wouldn't it have been easier to say "Good point, we'll put it in the next version" rather than open the Pandora's box that is rules lawyering?