Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chasing evaders  (Read 311 times)

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
Chasing evaders
« on: October 30, 2023, 09:39:20 AM »
pdf 5.N.3.1

As written, this rule does not constrain players on how much they can wheel, as long as the result is catching the target, or attempting to catch it.

I had it ruled at Derventio that you can only make the minimum necessary wheel to catch it ( if you can't catch it, I assume the ruling would have been the minimum necessary to attempt to catch it).

Should this be in the errata?

To go with this, it might be useful to have a definition of what qualifies as an "attempt", although I suspect it's a case of "hard to define, but you know one when you see one". It might make more sense to allow any wheel up to a maximum beyond which your "attempt" starts giving worse results. 

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing evaders
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 10:39:08 AM »
pdf 5.N.3.1

As written, this rule does not constrain players on how much they can wheel, as long as the result is catching the target, or attempting to catch it.

I had it ruled at Derventio that you can only make the minimum necessary wheel to catch it ( if you can't catch it, I assume the ruling would have been the minimum necessary to attempt to catch it).

Should this be in the errata?

To go with this, it might be useful to have a definition of what qualifies as an "attempt", although I suspect it's a case of "hard to define, but you know one when you see one". It might make more sense to allow any wheel up to a maximum beyond which your "attempt" starts giving worse results.

As Umpires, Nik and I decided that it was too complicated to precisely define.  The aim is to allow the UG catch evaders, not to allow it to gain an advantage by dodging enemy chargers.  Live with it.

Richard

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
Re: Chasing evaders
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 12:59:27 PM »
I'm happy to live with it (the minimum deviation rule) as it makes sense, but would be happier if the rules actually said it.

As noted above, I agree that it would be complicated to define an "attempt" , so I'm happy to leave it undefined.   I'm less happy deciding what is the minimum to do X when X isn't well-defined, though. But rules are a compromise.