Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Devasating charger characteristic  (Read 1150 times)

Mago

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Devasating charger characteristic
« on: June 25, 2023, 03:45:32 PM »
Hi

Inspired by NGR I have bought some chariots so my later Carthaginian army can also be fielded as early. I'm due to play the WarDr at the club on Monday and want to clarify some rules around the Punic Chariots. The ones I use are superior, short spear, melee expert, dev charger, shoot and charge (the works). They do not have to force charge but free charge as per the characteristic description on page 204 Compendium. Regarding skirmish/run away, on page 126 it says that dev chargers never run away/skirmish in any circumstances, any being underlined for emphasis. 1.3 below then talks about other missile focused cavalry/chariots that are missile focused being able to. Am I correct in taking these two together to mean that the dev charging Punic Chariots never skirmish/run away? Thanks.

SteveO

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Devasating charger characteristic
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 11:58:13 PM »
You are correct

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 05:41:19 AM »
Hi

Inspired by NGR I have bought some chariots so my later Carthaginian army can also be fielded as early. I'm due to play the WarDr at the club on Monday and want to clarify some rules around the Punic Chariots. The ones I use are superior, short spear, melee expert, dev charger, shoot and charge (the works). They do not have to force charge but free charge as per the characteristic description on page 204 Compendium.

The bit in the Characteristic definition is at odds with the rules on Forced Charges and Free Charges in the Charges and Responses section (5C in the PDF, 9.4 B and C in the Compendium) which make no mention of Dev Chargers who are Missile Focused being able to Free Charge.

Will consult about this and get back to you.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 09:21:10 AM »
The bit in the Characteristic definition is at odds with the rules on Forced Charges and Free Charges in the Charges and Responses section (5C in the PDF, 9.4 B and C in the Compendium) which make no mention of Dev Chargers who are Missile Focused being able to Free Charge.

Sorry lost in translation

I read the characteristic definition and the 5C paragraph in the new compendium ( from Lulu so PDF version ) . So I must admit there is something I do not understand as they BOTH say the same thing. If missile focused, DC are not subject to forced charges but it becomes a free charge

So what did I miss ?

But what is missing in the chariots description is the mandatory " experienced javelin" characteristic  :)

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 10:42:19 AM »

Sorry lost in translation

I read the characteristic definition and the 5C paragraph in the new compendium ( from Lulu so PDF version ) . So I must admit there is something I do not understand as they BOTH say the same thing. If missile focused, DC are not subject to forced charges but it becomes a free charge

So what did I miss ?

But what is missing in the chariots description is the mandatory " experienced javelin" characteristic  :)

5.C.4 says they can free charge vs skirmishers within 3 straight ahead. But there is no general rule in section 5.C allowing them free charges in other circumstances.

Appendix 1 C 1 says they can free charge, but it's not clear if this is simply to admit the possibility of 5.C.4 or intended as a general rule.

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 11:06:25 AM »
Ok I had missed that point .

But 1.C.1 is prety clear : it concerns TUGs as target. Now people will argue that DC is not CL  :)

Have forced charges against enemy TuGs directly ahead within 3BW unless they have missile
weapons other than charge-only shooters (so these are still subject to forced charges). Those
with such missile weapons can free charge.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »
Checked with Simon.

It is intended that Missile Focus troops with the Devastating Charger characteristic can free charge enemy within 3BW directly ahead (as stated with the characteristic).

For clarification there should be an additional bullet point in 5.C:4, p 58 - PDF Edition. or 9.4.C:1, p 118 Compendium Edition that indicates that troops with Devastating Charger get a Free Charge if they have enemy within 3BW directly ahead.

Richard

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 12:30:54 PM »
May I politely suggest : DC AND CL ..otherwise people will say OK but CL TUGS who are missile focused do have a forced charge ..which is not the case ..DC and CL do have a free charge !

Correct ?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 01:29:13 PM »
May I politely suggest : DC AND CL ..otherwise people will say OK but CL TUGS who are missile focused do have a forced charge ..which is not the case ..DC and CL do have a free charge !

Correct ?

NO, NO, NO.  It is intentional that missile focussed CL troops do not get the free charge and missile focussed DC troops do.  (Don't ask me why, that is Simon's intention).

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 01:32:25 PM »
Simon's intention is that in this case there is a difference between DC and CL troops who are Missile Focused.

Neither have a Forced Charge (5 C 2 in the PDF) but he intends the DC ones to be able to Free Charge.

I think Richard's clarification for 5 C 4 (PDF) needs to include "Missile Focused" to avoid confusion FWIW.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 01:34:48 PM »
I think Richard's clarification for 5 C 4 (PDF) needs to include "Missile Focused" to avoid confusion FWIW.

Already does.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 01:35:27 PM »
Thanks  8)

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 04:01:24 PM »

Correct ?

NO, NO, NO.  It is intentional that missile focussed CL troops do not get the free charge and missile focussed DC troops do.  (Don't ask me why, that is Simon's intention).

Interesting as I think nearly everyone missed that very fine point

Richard

Onurbm

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
  • Wuji
    • View Profile
    • Ost de Rueil Malmaison
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 04:44:12 PM »
Correct subtle difference between CL and DC , 🫣
Bruno
La question n’est pas de savoir si nous aurons le temps mais bien , ce que nous allons faire avec le temps qui nous est imparti .
GANDALF