Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 193 times)

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
2 questions
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
1) When Unskilled shooters with Shoot & charge do their special party trick, do they shoot as unskilled (black dice except against Poor) or do they shoot White dice? It seems to me that there was something about them shooting as Experienced when charging, but now I can’t find it. Was I hallucinating?

2)In a similar vein, I somehow got the idea that the ‘roll over’ arrows on the PBSMap were only for use when the Defender chose Coastal. My last opponent assures me you can use the arrows to flip the terrain in any starting terrain type (say, plains) and NOT just Coastal. I now feel a bit foolish because I can’t find the bit I thought I saw anywhere. Too many pills in my fabulous youth? Or was it under consideration at some point?
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

awat03

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:38:56 PM »
For the shooting question if they have 'charge only' shooting then they shoot as experienced when they charge. If they are inexperienced shooters with 'shoot and charge' then they start as inexperienced shooters and then this will be adjusted by the shooting modifiers.

With the PBS I thought that it was for coastal choices but that is based on discussions from the old forum that I may be remembering inaccurately.

nikgaukroger

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:41 AM »
2)In a similar vein, I somehow got the idea that the ‘roll over’ arrows on the PBSMap were only for use when the Defender chose Coastal. My last opponent assures me you can use the arrows to flip the terrain in any starting terrain type (say, plains) and NOT just Coastal. I now feel a bit foolish because I can’t find the bit I thought I saw anywhere. Too many pills in my fabulous youth? Or was it under consideration at some point?

Relevent bit from the 2019 rules update doc is:

"Movement is allowed now between the top line and the bottom line
 Battle location must stay within a square with the right territory type"

So not just if Coastal is chosen, but the second line does limit when you can "roll over" as the territory types on the two lines are not identical.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Kokor Hekkus

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
Does the flip over have to be in line with the arrows, or can it be diagonal ?

nikgaukroger

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
Diagonal is OK I think - you just treat the two lines as contiguous.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

accard

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:03:38 AM »
So can you downgrade your unskilled shooters  to charge only?

It is one grade lower in the drop down menu. :)

I am sure I should have saved that one for a cheesy tournament move.

marshalney2000

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »
Trying to find where it says that charge only shooters shoot as experienced. Can anyone help?

craig.w

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
It's in the Rule Changes document for 2019.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
So can you downgrade your unskilled shooters  to charge only?

It is one grade lower in the drop down menu. :)

I am sure I should have saved that one for a cheesy tournament move.

Absolutely NO!  Charge Only is not a downgrade from Unskilled.

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »
I agree with RIchard. Charge Only is an UPGRADE from Unskilled, at least for foot. At least unskilled javelin/shoot & charge is cheap; 2 extra black dice aren’t much of a bonus on the charge. Against anything FA they are literally worthless (YOU are charging, so slowing the enemy is meaningless).
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »
Charge only is a separate concept (one could argue for Skld/Exp/Unsld versions thereof but seemed pointless).
So no to downgrading to it from anything ...

yes treat PBS as a cylinder so you can cross the edges and if you have cards to go diagonal so be it.
But alweys limited to staying in the territory type so not always possible.

S
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
Sorry for starting this hare; after reading the responses and re-reading the rules it’s plain to me I conflated ‘charge only’ with ‘shoot and charge’; rather boneheaded of me, I admit. My previous and mistaken belief that unskilled javelin cavalry with Shoot & Charge was fairly good will have to be revised, but at least they still get to run away from their betters. Live and (eventually) learn.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »
No worries.
Event he author manages a few boneheaded mistakes at time with his own rules!
Easily sorted.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

Hunter

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
Trying to find where it says that charge only shooters shoot as experienced. Can anyone help?

Told ya!
Dishonour before defeat!