Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can EIR Roman Auxilia Archers have caltrops?  (Read 121 times)

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
Can EIR Roman Auxilia Archers have caltrops?
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
The lists say 'Legionaries and Auxilia may have caltrops' does this include Auxiliary Archers?
Might be a nice loophole for those archers and give them a lot more survivability!

nikgaukroger

• Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: Can EIR Roman Auxilia Archers have caltrops?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
I've assumed they can - but haven't thought them worth bothering with, much like stakes really  :P
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

craig.w

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 02:31:59 AM »
I took stakes in a comp and regretted it, they made the army too defensive. A lot of points that are either wasted against foot or make the archers so impregnable they don't get charged by mounted. Plus saving up cards so that you can put them down when you want and keeping a general near them for a card boost all managed to wish I had just saved the points and got another TUG and relied on the green shooting dice to take down mounted (yes, I know it rarely works...).

Having said that, caltrops go down on a yellow, and you can do it 2BW away, so maybe are better.

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
Reply from Si
Any legionary or auxilia units may be equipped with Caltrops."

No itís specific. Axillary Archers are different to Auxilia so its a no.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
The famous use of caltrops in this period was in 217 CE at the battle of Nibisis.  "But when the fighting came to close quarters, the Romans easily defeated the barbarians; for when the swarms of Parthian cavalry and hordes of dromedary riders were mauling them, the Romans pretended to retreat and then they threw down caltrops and other keen-pointed iron devices. Covered by the sand, these were invisible to the horsemen and the dromedary riders and were fatal to the animals." (Herodian IV 15.2)

Caltrops do seem to be used fairly infrequently.  One factor may have been the cost of producing large numbers of caltrops (in an age without machinery). 

Once dropped, I cannot see them being picked up during a battle, which does turn them into a very defensive weapon.

Scipio refused to use them at the Siege of Numantia because he thought that if he used them, he would be seen as cowardly by the enemy!   

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 06:32:43 PM »
Auxilia Sagitarri in Imperial list, where does that stand?
Are they Auxilia?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:30:59 PM »
An errata has been issued.  Basically any sort of legionary or auxilia infantry can carry caltrops including Auxilia Sagitarii.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:07:28 PM by lionheartrjc »

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »
Thank you oh wise one.