Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Charging distances and contact  (Read 47 times)

Lord Sunderland

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Charging distances and contact
« on: August 06, 2022, 01:31:59 PM »
My first game of head to head MEG last night, as opposed to a couple of solo games, and I had an issue arising with charging.
In my case I had charged (stupidly , but that's another matter) with a SUG cavalry unit to get rid of an opposing foot SUG. It evaded behind a Cavalry TUG directly behind it (which had not had any combat losses) which was in charge reach, and we couldn't see any mechanism to stop my SUG hitting the TUG and effectively dying, apart from the rule that a SUG can't charge a TUG (not within one base of breaking) in the open.  We played they charged in and died....
My searching of the forum would indicate from a couple of years ago that there was to be an amendment to the clarries such that the SUG could have stopped one base width short, but I don't see that in the latest clarries document. 

Re-reading the rules I have a more general query for both TUG's and SUG's about charges and evaders in that do you have to charge the full charge distance if you are not a forced charger? I can't see anything to say you can limit the length of your charge, but that does mean if I want to drive off some skirmishers, or even some missile armed cavalry my unit is always in danger of having to hit any unit that is behind them, unless I have previously done in a prior turn some fancy footwork to only just be in charge reach of the first unit?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
Re: Charging distances and contact
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 02:32:03 PM »
You do have to charge your full distance.
Before you charge you do need to think of the consequences of charging.

p.s.  I think the clarification you refer to was before the rules were changed for the Compendium Edition.

Richard

Lord Sunderland

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:07:52 PM »
Thanks.

To be clear then in the actual example I quoted, the rule that chargers have to move their full distance over-rides the rule that SUG's cannot charge TUG's in the open not within a base of breaking? So in fact the rule is SUGs cannot charge TUG's unless the TuG's are revealed from an evade?

I have the compendium rulebook, so it would appear to me that despite the threads I saw which implied that wasn't the intention in (I assume) the previous pre-compendium rules for the SUGs to have to charge in, then it wasn't amended in the later version.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 05:45:54 PM »
Presumably the author changed their mind.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:21:14 PM »
Thanks.

To be clear then in the actual example I quoted, the rule that chargers have to move their full distance over-rides the rule that SUG's cannot charge TUG's in the open not within a base of breaking? So in fact the rule is SUGs cannot charge TUG's unless the TuG's are revealed from an evade?

I have the compendium rulebook, so it would appear to me that despite the threads I saw which implied that wasn't the intention in (I assume) the previous pre-compendium rules for the SUGs to have to charge in, then it wasn't amended in the later version.

A SuG cannot declare a charge on a TuG (except when it is close to breaking).  This doesn't prevent it charging the TuG if the target evades.