Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Historicon Events?  (Read 1141 times)

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
Historicon Events?
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »
Simon has asked Rob and I to find out what events people would like to see at Historicon in November. The Con looks like it will very likely happen. Personally, I just got my second vaccine shot, which I am hoped will both prevent COVID and improve my dice.
I have heard mostly from folks in Nrthern California where I live, and there seems to be a range of opinions. Some think we should heavily emphasize PACTO, with tournaments daily, demo games, and walk up games to introduce the rules to new players. There is a lot of merit to this.
Others think we should emphasize Magna. The games are shorter, which means we can get in 4 rounds in one day and maybe have both an open and a theme. The armies are smaller and easier to transport, which both helps out people who have to travel long distances and migh draw a few ADLG players in, since army sizes are comparable.
Still others really want at least one 4-5 round Magna tournament, maybe an open, maybe a theme, or maybe two three round events over two days.
Personally, I like big games with lots of toys, but the point here is to maximize participation, encourage new players, and provide the kind of spectacle that gets gamers interested and adds to our rapidly growing group.
I’ve are hoping lots of you will weigh in with your opinions. Tell us what you want and we’ll do our best to make it happen for you!
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

Crusader49

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Historicon Events?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:06:04 PM »
Hi

Relatively new, here...from upstate NY.  I, too, like big games with lots of toys, but, I think emphasizing Patco, doing small demo games, etc, is the best way to get new people to "buy into" MeG.     

As a case in point: I put on a small demo game yesterday with 3 very experienced gamers: 4 UGs / side.  They liked everything about MeG...but, remarked that there is a LOT of info to digest.  Not a criticism; rather, a cautionary note when introducing MeG to new players.

If the intent is to get new players to play MeG, then Patco is probably the best bet to achieve that.  It may be better to play Magna/Maximus games with the more experienced players, while inviting "new converts" who wish to participate.

Jim

Jim

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:02:16 PM »
I’m a bit disappointed with the lack of responses. I think it would be a mistake to let Rob and I simply make arbitrary decisions. WHat does the Hive Mind think is best?
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

sppenn

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
I would love to attend Historicon in November.  However, I still need to get a vaccination and figure out my fall semester schedule.  Until I know that I'm going to attend the game convention, I hesitate to say what I prefer.  Having said that, if I do attend I truly don't care if its pacto, magna, maximus, or even Grandeosous Universalis...whatever!  As long as I'm rolling dice and pushing lead, I will be happy. 

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 09:05:02 PM »
I have posted a very preliminary proposed schedule for H-Con events at the MeG USA facebook page. Feel free to post your comments, complaints, brutal crticism, fulsome praise, whatever either here of there.

I want to encourage comments even from those who are not certain they will attend Historicon. The idea here is to build participation in our favorite game.If you can think of something we ought to be doing at HCon, please say so even if you might not be there to enjoy the fruits of your ideas, what helps MeG prosper helps us all. I work for the government, so I am used to being wrong about stuff. f you have a better idea, let us use it!

Raiderd

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 05:55:51 PM »
Pacto demo's and small tournament & Maximus 10,000 tournament are in my view important  without knowing how many will attend I would keep it simple.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:57:56 PM by Raiderd »