Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheeling when up against the table edge, or in the middle of a line.  (Read 84 times)

craig.w

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Hello,

If a unit is hard up against the table edge, or in the middle of a line, and it wants to wheel, is it prevented by the fact that the back of the unit will go off the board, or clip a neighbouring unit, or does it only matter where the unit ends its move, and if it has enough space to complete the wheel it can do it ? I've always thought it was the latter, but couldn't find the answer in the book when asked on the weekend.

Cheers,

Craig

Jilu

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Wheeling when up against the table edge, or in the middle of a line.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:54:18 AM »
i do not have the rules at hand but :
a table edge will not stop you from wheeling you wheel as if there was no end of the world

if next to a unit you can wheel but i cannot remember if you push the friendly units by the minimum necessary distance or just ignore them

i think it is discribed in the universal rules
Liberate me ex infernis

nikgaukroger

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
i think it is discribed in the universal rules

I think you are remembering the universal 1/2 base shift which allows you to avoid the edge of the table.

I'm not sure Craig's question is actually fully answered by the rules, however, in my experience it is always played that as long as the front edge of a unit does not leave the table then the move can be made - likewise the rear of bases are ignored if wheeling out of a line.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »
Wheeling against the table edge - use the universal 1/2 BW shift.

Wheeling in the middle of a line was clarified on the forum.  As long as the unit can fit in at the end of the move, the rear end sticking out during the move doesn't affect movement.  Remember those bases are far deeper than the actual formation of troops would be.

What does matter is the front edge.  You cannot fit through a gap smaller than your front edge (the one exception is charges where you can temporarily fit through a smaller gap as long as you can reform into a legal formation 9.4A 6.2 p70).

Richard

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »
All correct.
Managed to get back on forum after a few days locked out by a technical issue.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple