Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late Carthaginians  (Read 1728 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Late Carthaginians
« on: December 24, 2020, 02:41:50 PM »
Veteran African spearmen for a 2nd Punic War Carthaginian army that has, inevitably happened after I've done the earlier version. Xyston figures. Think they've come out well; look tough just have to hope they perform on the table top  ;D

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Late Carthaginians
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 11:32:57 PM »
Nice paintwork Nick!

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 06:52:34 PM »
Completed a unit mostly painted yesterday. Xyston (large) 15mm figures. They are Roman figures which will be Campanians in my 2nd Punic War Carthaginian army for MeG. I rather suspect the blue of the shields is brighter than is really plausible but hey I like it  8)

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »
Nice paintwork one more time Nick!

the opposition is arriving! ( ok, slower than carthage is recruiting ;) ).

All the best.

Gilles

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »
Definitely the last figures completed for 2020 - Xyston 15mm Gallic cavalry for my 2nd Punic War Carthaginians. Have a unit of Spanish cavalry underway to be Hannibal's veteran cavalry but they won't get finished until 2021  8)

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Well done Nick! good recrutement for Hannibal ! ( infamous Insubres!) .

nice paintwork!

All the best.

Gilles

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 06:41:02 PM »
First figures completed in 2021 although they were started in 2020. Xyston 15mm Spanish cavalry with LBMS shield transfers to be Hannibal's veteran cavalry in my 2nd Punic War army. Couple more units to do to round it out but need to wait for some more LBMS stuff for those  8)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 03:44:24 PM »
Second unit of the day based thanks to the arrival of new bases. This time 15mm Xyston Gauls for use with my Carthaginians as I expand them out to cover the 2nd Punic War. LBMS shield transfers. That's the basing backlog sorted  :D

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
Last (well maybe, you know how it goes  ;) ) additional unit for my Carthaginians to allow me to do a 2nd Punic War version as well as my pre-1st Punic War version. Spanish from Xyston with LBMS shield transfers. Suppose a PW1 option might beckon at some stage in the future ::)

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 10:30:38 PM »
Nice paintwork! nice figures! nice transfers of LBMS!
I need to have the same tug in my  Mid Republican Roman ;)

Cheers.

PUNCH

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
What a great looking army. I can't believe how quickly you can turn out units to such a good standard.

You might be right that the blue shields are a bit vivid for that period (to be honest, I have little idea of what colours were achievable then) but they look good and I think we need to push the colours a bit on these smaller models otherwise they just look too dull at normal viewing distances.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »
What a great looking army. I can't believe how quickly you can turn out units to such a good standard.

Thanks - all about keeping it simple and very much looks fine at gaming distance, no where near your standard. The LBMS transfers help as well  ;D

You might be right that the blue shields are a bit vivid for that period (to be honest, I have little idea of what colours were achievable then) but they look good and I think we need to push the colours a bit on these smaller models otherwise they just look too dull at normal viewing distances.

Agreed. That said am a bit tempted to go back and do something with those blue shields to break it up a bit.