Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ayyubid / Fatimid horse armour query  (Read 448 times)

Plantagenet

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
Ayyubid / Fatimid horse armour query
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:14:03 AM »
Does anyone have any good sources for the look of Muslim army armour for both riders and horses of the period.  Colour of armour was not something I studied when doing my studies into the history of Roman (Republican) and Medieval (Crusader) warfare.  I've seen lots of images over the years of some stunningly painted armies often with horse armour, in particular, painted in all manner of colours, all of which look very pleasing, I'm just not sure how accurate it is? Coloured lamellar type armours in blues, reds and greens is always something that I've associated (probably wrongly LOL) with more Oriental armies and figured the armour for both horse and riders in Muslim armies, along with Hellenistic, would be more plain metal, best depicted by a range of iron/bronze colours, albeit very likely with colourful and ornate saddles, cloths and even bridlery.

Not sure if Osprey do anything worth picking up, while some are very good I've grown somewhat wary of Osprey's having bought a few in the bast only to find limited info, lots of 'padding' and only one or two useful plates, information which is freely and readily available from elsewhere.