Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A couple of newbie questions  (Read 106 times)

Chazrael

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
A couple of newbie questions
« on: September 16, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
Evening all,

Finally managed to get a game of Pacto in with another newbie (Normans vs AngloSaxons). Have intermittantly played DBA/DBMM & Warmaster in the past but neither quite worked for me. Had a great time and lookign forward to next game but a couple of things came up that we were unsure of.

Assuming I have the cards can I issue multiple orders to a UG / block in 1 phase?
eg Advance with Wheel (M3) and then in a later order in the same movement phase turn on the spot (M9). (This may be a Warmaster flashback).

Do KaB tests from breaking units "chain"?
ie unit A breaks causing KaB tests on nearby units B & C. The damage from this test causes unit B to break. Does unit C have to take another KaB test?

What happens here in the attached picture?

Select Fyrd frontally engaged in combat with Milites from a previous turn (yes the Milites should have tried to break away but didn't).
Great Fyrd charge in flank and kill a base, we assumed that the milites would fight back in the charge phase even though they were already in combat mostly due to +4 for flank in charge combat.
Do the Great Fyrd shuffle left to stay in contact with Milites 1, follow through into flank of next Milites unit or something else? (Should they have shuffled left in the charge phase to better align?).

Thanks for the answers (and a excellent rule set).

FrancisSmall

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 04:49:32 AM »
Welcome Chazrael! I'm sort of an oldie newbie - played the game sporadically over the last couple of years, but am trying to get serious about it.

1. Nope, generally can't do multiple moves in a turn. For example, if you charge and manage to destroy your opponent, you can't then move during the move phase, but you can charge and break-off in the same turn. Also note the option for a double move - M14. Check out Universal Rule #14 (Prompted action per turn) on p. 80 for what is and is not allowed.

2. Yes - KaB chain of doom applies. See 5.3 on p.170: ..."Any TuGs broken by these test themselves cause further tests."

3. Great question. I can't say I know for sure, but see p. 143 "Casualty Removal in Combat" #1.3. According to how I read that (roughly "if losing a base makes you break contact completely with a UG you must choose another base - owner decides"), the rear Milites 1 is not removed because you then break contact with the Greater Fyrd, and where's the fun in that? Instead Mr. Milite must remove either the rear rank of Milite 2 or Milite 3, their choice.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
Welcome.

1.  A general cannot make multiple moves in the same PHASE.  A general can move in the charge phase and then move in the movement phase.  A UG can generally only make one prompted action in a phase but there are some exceptions (see p80), most notably expanding files in combat (MF1/2 moves). 

2. Yes.

3.  As FrancisSmall has indicated. If the Great Fyrd inflict a casualty, the base in contact is not removed, but another base removed instead.  This is because you do not remove a base if it would cause the UG to lose contact with the UG fighting it. 

Richard

steads

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 11:04:53 AM »
Rare though it is to disagree with Richard, in this case the base fighting the Great Fyrd is removed. This is because this is Pacto and the other rear rank bases are actually in different TUGs.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »
Whoops, I hadn't spotted that it was a Pacto game. 

p.s. I don't think that it is that uncommon for people to disagree with me! 

Richard

FrancisSmall

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:58 PM »
Well, at least I gave the right answer. Just happened to be for a different question, that's all.  ;)

The real question is - does the greater fyrd shift left, advance, or sit in place? In this case I believe they just sit in place. There's no outcome move, because you haven't gotten an outcome on Milites 1.

Next turn they could charge the rear Milites2 base in the flank.

As a followup question, how could the GF attack the remaining Milites 1 base next turn if that's what they wanted to do? They can't charge them because they are in contact. But the rules for the other mechanisms on p132 for "Engaging in Melee When Already in Contact" are explicitly for front corner to front corner contact, and they are in front corner to rear corner contact. I don't think you can do an option to align in SP5.1 because you're not in combat. The only think I think the rules allow for is for them to back up (and break contact), then charge, but that doesn't seem right.

steads

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
As a followup question, how could the GF attack the remaining Milites 1 base next turn if that's what they wanted to do? They can't charge them because they are in contact. But the rules for the other mechanisms on p132 for "Engaging in Melee When Already in Contact" are explicitly for front corner to front corner contact, and they are in front corner to rear corner contact. I don't think you can do an option to align in SP5.1 because you're not in combat. The only think I think the rules allow for is for them to back up (and break contact), then charge, but that doesn't seem right.

I think you have identified a glitch. My suggestion is the 2.1 should be adjusted to read "..with an enemy corner." ie remove the requirement for it to be a front corner.

Over to Si