Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Northern Song infantry  (Read 1264 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Northern Song infantry
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »
I have been looking at the Later Zhou as a possible Chinese army to build, and as they transformed into the Song in 960 CE with Zhao Kuangyin's coup I have inevitably drfited into the Northern Song period as well.

This has made me wonder about the classification of the Northern Song infantry. I read that their formations were 1 rank of troops with a mix of spears, pole arms, etc, 3 ranks of crossbowmen and a final rank of archers. This feels more like classification in the Five Dynasties list (half SSp + Xbow, half Xbow) than in the Northern Song (all Pole Arm + Xbow).
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Tribunus
  • Wargamer Based in Surrey and West Sussex
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Song infantry
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
In anticipation of a possible future change and to make the bases more universal I went with the spear and bow on separate bases in my Song army.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
Sensible chap  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 09:24:23 AM »
I have been looking at the Later Zhou as a possible Chinese army to build, and as they transformed into the Song in 960 CE with Zhao Kuangyin's coup I have inevitably drfited into the Northern Song period as well.

This has made me wonder about the classification of the Northern Song infantry. I read that their formations were 1 rank of troops with a mix of spears, pole arms, etc, 3 ranks of crossbowmen and a final rank of archers. This feels more like classification in the Five Dynasties list (half SSp + Xbow, half Xbow) than in the Northern Song (all Pole Arm + Xbow).

Having found nothing that contradicts what I wrote above I'm wondering where the all pole arm + crossbow classification actually comes from.