Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shove/shatter  (Read 294 times)

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
Shove/shatter
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
I have looked at the threads on what counts as an adjacent file. It’s clear that one does not shove/shatter ‘around corners’.

This past Saturday, we had a situation where some French pikes charged my Brabanters while my German knights charged some dismounted French knights. The pikes and dismounted French knights were facing in the same direction, and the rearmost pike stand was in side-to side contact with the front stand of French dismounted knights. The lines had a sort of ‘dog leg’ appearance, where the figures in contact in each file were over 1BW apart. We checked the rules and decided that the shove rolled by the pikes aided the dismounted knights, but it seemed odd. Did we do it right? Due to my superior German die-rolling skill (ie I got ungodly lucky) it made no difference, but still we wondered.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

badhabum

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Shove/shatter
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »

From what I understand of your description I would say they had the support of the shove.

Shove and shatter a described not only in the characteristic part of the rules but also - and more precisely your case - in the rules 2019 clarifications pg 6 and 7

Hope it helps

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
If you give me a diagram I will tell you for sure and why.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »
Sadly, I am too brutally ignorant to manage a diagram. I blame Nixon. He had nothing to do with it; I just like blaming him.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

badhabum

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 07:33:08 PM »
BBBB
BBBB
PPPP
PPPP
PPPPGGGG
PPPPFFFF

Would it be like this

B the branbanters
P the ennemy pikemen assaulting your brabanters
G your  geman knights assaulting  F (the ennemy  french knights )

Last rank of P is facing the same way as F the dismounted knights and are side to side .

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:34:53 PM by badhabum »

nikgaukroger

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
Sadly, I am too brutally ignorant to manage a diagram. I blame Nixon. He had nothing to do with it; I just like blaming him.

Easy way is to set up some bases, take a picture and post that.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
BBBB
BBBB
PPPP
PPPP
PPPPGGGG
PPPPFFFF

Would it be like this

B the branbanters
P the ennemy pikemen assaulting your brabanters
G your  geman knights assaulting  F (the ennemy  french knights )

Last rank of P is facing the same way as F the dismounted knights and are side to side .

I will try the photo, but actually the diagram is pretty good.