Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good Wizards  (Read 235 times)

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
Good Wizards
« on: June 08, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »
Slide3 by Simon Hall, on Flickr
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: Good Wizards
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »
In general, I really, really like this  idea. May I propose one additional possible spell for Gandalf the White? I would call it “Sow Fear”. When charging in the front rank, Gandalf may spend a Green card (or maybe yellow?) to throw this enemy unit into confusion. All troops in charge combat within 3BW count for that round only as Loose foot with no charge weapons (ie, no Pike, SS, LS,Impact weapon, 2HW etc)  for the duration of the charge combat ONLY. After that,Gandalf would simply count as normal (+1 in Melee?)

A similar spell could be given to the Ringwraiths, perhaps.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

steads

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
I would call it “Sow Fear”.
Why are they scared of pigs?

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:32:56 PM »
You should see Gandalf's pigs!

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
I would call it “Sow Fear”.
Why are they scared of pigs?

The ancient Dunland word for man-Orc is ’man-ure’. I assume pigs fit in here somewhere, if only female pigs.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:21:38 PM »
ANy comment on the actual spell? The more I look  at it, the more I think it should need a yellow card as it could be very powerful indeed.

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 04:00:20 AM »
1. I think all spells should be random selection in front of the opponent at the game start (before deployment).
 - This will mitigate that balance is invariably off whenever these lists are made - might just keep seeing the same spells picked each time.
 - it means you COULD add in an ability to some wizards to be able to select ONE spell that is not random - a nice bump/difference maker between wizards and WIZARDS.
 - You could have 'named' spells that only apply to select wizard(s) and these count either against their allotment or are in addition to.

2. The SW (aka Gandalf's pigs) sounds very good. The wording tho - does this mean the charging unit(s) AND the charged unit(s) all count as loose with no factors? That dulls it down. If it is just the CHARGED unit that is affected, its insanely good and some balancing elements may be required?

Facebook group Canberra Wargaming Mates:

@CanberraWargaming

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 07:58:04 AM »
I like it. Sounds YELLOW for a range of reasons.

DylanB

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »
Assuming Magna and Pacto will be an option in Fantasy MeG, will Wizards cost a lot more in points or will the damage of spells be modified in some way?   If a Wizard gets a few red cards he could devastate a pacto army, especially if timed right to trigger that cascade of KaB tests that end many Pacto games.

I guess I'm assuming KaB tests will be the same too.  Maybe fantasy people (and monsters) are inherently less concerned with their own safety than real soldiers  :)

What about Dispells or Wizards blocking Wizards from casting?  Maybe opposing Wizard could play a card of equal value plus a colored card to block, but I don't know if that would be fun.  That could create a situation where only the guy who brought the most wizards gets to do anything with his wizards

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
The countering idea is nice and fits some of the fantasy worlds well.  Raymond Feists magicians series.
Yes we would need to wind them in for Pacto.  Or they may blow hole in the middle of an army.  Dragons need careful handling too!