Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Length at Britcon  (Read 353 times)

Hunter

• Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: Game Length at Britcon
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 03:21:37 PM »
+1
Dishonour before defeat!

marshalney2000

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
Did 3 hour games put people off coming to Skulls?

Or is there something particular about Britcon and those who attend.

To be honest, Iím not a fan of 6 games in a weekend. Iím not a fan of very wide, but not open, competitions, Iím not a fan of the Barnes Wallis Building. But I still plan on going to future Britcons.

What I do want is some sort of continuity between all MeG competitions on points and game time.

10,000 pts and 3 hours seems to be the standard.
+2.
Also agree that with my advancing years a lighter schedule suits me. Six games at 3 hours was great.
I think only one of my games did not reach a decisive conclusion but there is a story why that is the case. An extra 15 minutes would not have altered the situation.

daveparish

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »
The issue I would have would be if 3 hour games will put people off coming to Britcon. 

Not me.

Longer games might though. Older now and need a more relaxed schedule than back in the day  ;)  :P

Nor me - I'll turn up for a 3 hour MeG at Britcon next year (only life events would keep me away, not game length). One concern for me was that 3 hours might become a standard for all comps whereas I would prefer variation. My preference would be 3 hours 15 mins (or longer)where possible and 3 hours where necessary.

DracoStandard

• T/O
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
3 hours is far too long.  If you cant get a result in 2 hours, you are doing something wrong
Paul, Facetious comments like this are not helpful. You are better than this.  Richard

Admittedly slightly tongue in cheek, but still slightly serious.  I came nowhere near 3 hours in at least 5 of my games.  It can't just be me who regularly finishes about an hour before the bell when we go over 3 hours.

marshalney2000

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
With ten thousand points then three hours should be more than adequate if both players play at a reasonable tempo. If some players are slow by mature then an extra 15 minutes will be pointless. One of my fellow Scottish players at Britcon found that the deploying of his opponent took over an hour and after three hours hardly any combat had taken place. Would fifteen minutes extra have made any difference.
The scoring system in MEG encourages you to fight because not fighting is counterproductive victory point wise. Sadly there is the odd person who seems to think gaining two points and achieving a draw is better than losing 15 to 10. God help us if we have to go back to the old minimum number of bounds rule that was played in another rule set to prevent this happening.
I think one of Robinís opponents just refused to fight so no added time will resolve that issue.

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Centurion
  • MeG - UK Tournament Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 09:55:07 PM »
With ten thousand points then three hours should be more than adequate if both players play at a reasonable tempo. If some players are slow by mature then an extra 15 minutes will be pointless. One of my fellow Scottish players at Britcon found that the deploying of his opponent took over an hour and after three hours hardly any combat had taken place. Would fifteen minutes extra have made any difference.
The scoring system in MEG encourages you to fight because not fighting is counterproductive victory point wise. Sadly there is the odd person who seems to think gaining two points and achieving a draw is better than losing 15 to 10. God help us if we have to go back to the old minimum number of bounds rule that was played in another rule set to prevent this happening.
I think one of Robinís opponents just refused to fight so no added time will resolve that issue.

100% agree
Message me if you need information about MeG tournaments in the UK

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
With ten thousand points then three hours should be more than adequate if both players play at a reasonable tempo. If some players are slow by mature then an extra 15 minutes will be pointless.

I concur.

One of my fellow Scottish players at Britcon found that the deploying of his opponent took over an hour

Unacceptably slow IMO.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »
Of course we would not need to start quite so early on Sunday as there are only 2 games not the three on Saturday.
Personally, as I was playing a "boring" army (I read that as slow-moving as Nik likes to race around a lot) I would have welcomed the extra 15 minutes in several of my games.

Hey, my army was as ploddy as any other out there  ;D and all 6 of my games, win or lose (mostly the latter), finished comfortably within the 3 hours.

Not to hijack the thread, but having had 6 comp games with the late English, what are your thoughts on those armies?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
Not to hijack the thread, but having had 6 comp games with the late English, what are your thoughts on those armies?

Mine was OK. Struggle against wide armies that can fight OK across their width if the shooting doesn't do much as then the archer units become targets - but whilst I lost against 3 of these they weren't games I thought I couldn't win, it just didn't work out on the day. I lost 4 games and won 2, but it could have been the other way around - most probably 3 wins and 3 losses.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

badhabum

• Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »
3 hours is Ok if I have an opponent who does not play Benny Hill .  8)

Even fleet of foot were not quick enough  ;D