Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Length at Britcon  (Read 355 times)

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
Game Length at Britcon
« on: August 12, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »
Game length at Britcon was 3 hours.

Question is: we could extend the game length to 3 hours 15 minutes by starting at 8.15 a.m. instead of 9.00 a.m (assuming the same arrangements next year).  (We can't finish later due to constraints at the venue).
What would you prefer 3 hours  or 3 hours 15 minutes?
It was noticeable that the proportion of finished games fell in rounds 4 and 6.  This may have been due to player fatigue!

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
Re: Game Length at Britcon
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »
IMO 3 hours is fine and the %age of finished games was acceptable. Slightly more civilised start time was nice.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

marshalney2000

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
I found the three hours fine. It as also nice to have a more leisurely breakfast on the Saturday and the Sunday. With an 8.15 start not sure we would have time for breakfast on Sunday as our hotel does not even start serving until 8.00.

steads

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Of course we would not need to start quite so early on Sunday as there are only 2 games not the three on Saturday.
Personally, as I was playing a "boring" army (I read that as slow-moving as Nik likes to race around a lot) I would have welcomed the extra 15 minutes in several of my games.

marshalney2000

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »
Of course we would not need to start quite so early on Sunday as there are only 2 games not the three on Saturday.
Personally, as I was playing a "boring" army (I read that as slow-moving as Nik likes to race around a lot) I would have welcomed the extra 15 minutes in several of my games.
Would an extra three hours per game not be better for you?

daveparish

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »
I would have welcomed the extra 15 minutes in several of my games.

I agree - and it is not just about winning more - I would have lost properly in at least one of my games, given an extra 15 minutes. Perhaps some of the better players find it easier to move fast because they know more of what they are doing?

Would we need to start earlier, though? If we finish at 8:00pm rather than 7:30pm on the Saturday it would be about the same to me .. still time for food and beer. Then we could either start 15 mins early for the first Sat game or shave 15 minutes off the lunch break. Hey presto, a relatively painless 45 mins gained!

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »
(We can't finish later due to constraints at the venue).
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:50:36 AM »

Hey, my army was as ploddy as any other out there  ;D and all 6 of my games, win or lose (mostly the latter), finished comfortably within the 3 hours.

DracoStandard

• T/O
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
3 hours is far too long.  If you cant get a result in 2 hours, you are doing something wrong

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
3 hours is far too long.  If you cant get a result in 2 hours, you are doing something wrong
Paul, Facetious comments like this are not helpful. You are better than this.  Richard

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Centurion
  • MeG - UK Tournament Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
At SKULLS the unfinished game percentage was significantly lower than BRITCON. Looking at the full results set showed that unfinished games were concentrated around 4 or 5 players. Perhaps analysis of the unfinished games at BRITCON might throw up some themes around player experience, army choice or something completely unexspected.

Message me if you need information about MeG tournaments in the UK

Hunter

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
Hi folks

First off thanks to everybody for a great weekend's gaming and especially to RJC for managing and umpiring.

3 hours is fine for me.  To add some context I rarely get up to the club these days having commitments to my boy's footie team on Thursday nights so I am probably middle of the road in terms of pace and familiarity with the rules.

HH

Dishonour before defeat!

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 02:09:04 PM »
At SKULLS the unfinished game percentage was significantly lower than BRITCON. Looking at the full results set showed that unfinished games were concentrated around 4 or 5 players. Perhaps analysis of the unfinished games at BRITCON might throw up some themes around player experience, army choice or something completely unexpected.

I have looked at this.  Ignoring the first round, there were four players who did not get a decisive result (win or lose) in any of their five remaining games. In my opinion, I think one was down to army choice, three down to speed of play (which may in some cases be due to lack of experience).  This is sort of irrelevant though.

The issue I would have would be if 3 hour games will put people off coming to Britcon. 

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
The issue I would have would be if 3 hour games will put people off coming to Britcon. 

Not me.

Longer games might though. Older now and need a more relaxed schedule than back in the day  ;)  :P

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Centurion
  • MeG - UK Tournament Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
Did 3 hour games put people off coming to Skulls?

Or is there something particular about Britcon and those who attend.

To be honest, Iím not a fan of 6 games in a weekend. Iím not a fan of very wide, but not open, competitions, Iím not a fan of the Barnes Wallis Building. But I still plan on going to future Britcons.

What I do want is some sort of continuity between all MeG competitions on points and game time.

10,000 pts and 3 hours seems to be the standard.
Message me if you need information about MeG tournaments in the UK