Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bow cavalry in battle but with come heavies to help Moncheaux 2019  (Read 672 times)

badhabum

• Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: Bow cavalry in battle but with come heavies to help Moncheaux 2019
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »
If you need the punch (and most of us do) then don't pick an army without it - simples  ;D

Actually, I'd add that a chunk of "stodge" can also work wonders in a basically shooty cavalry army - basically something the opponent can't just push around.

I think I understand the meaning of the chunk of stodge- but not sure 100% - . If, as you write, we should choose not to pick an army without "punch" , then stop creating some . The rules work well but do the rules work in a 3 hour tournament . My answer would be yes and no . If the 2 players go for it , then it works. But with shooty armies on white dice, time is a bit short as you need time to roll the dice, wounds can be healed and so on.... Youn can weaken an army, but difficult to finish it . I am painting one of my favourite armies, the early byzantines. But it lacks the punch needed in a tournament . I made a proposal based on many reading and we will see what happens in 2020 . 8) . Now I am not the only one to think shooty mounted bows need something to go on . At Britcon, I was winning the first game after 3 hours, lost after something like 4 hours ( friday night ) and I faced some skilled shooters  ::). But the game was fun.
So

Robin

• T/O
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Bow cavalry in battle but with come heavies to help Moncheaux 2019
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
I cert agree that the shooty Cavalry armies need a heavyweight unit. At the recent London GT, Richard won the event with Timurid s and Nik came 3rd with Sassanids. Both had Elephants, to deliver the punch. I just wish I was good enough to use them.