Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Several queries  (Read 982 times)

madmonkey

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Several queries
« on: February 12, 2024, 01:55:56 PM »
Hello,

We just had a tournament in Romania this weekend and we have a couple of questions regarding the rules.

1. What happens if a skirmish move would take your unit into another enemy unit? (my skirmish move is supposed to be 5 BW after the rolls, the unit in front won't catch me, but at 4.5BW behind me there is an enemy unit)

2. Are skirmish rolls affected by terrain? (If it's a  loose cavalry in rough ground do you do the variable distance roll starting from a 5BW move or a 3 BW move)

3. If there is a terrain piece (woods that block vision unless in 2BW of enemy UNITS) right in the middle of the table, that's only 1.5 BW in my own half. Is it possible to place an ambush there? (Given that the rules state that that I shouldn't be visible from anywhere in 2BW of the enemy table half)?

4. How does hiding army lists from my opponent in a tournament work? What information do you have to give your opponent before and during deployment? (How many units the army has? What type of generals? Can I ask to see his tray of miniatures?)

Thank you very much in advance

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Several queries
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 02:55:17 PM »
Hi,

Hope the tournament went well.

1. It stops just short of the enemy UG.  This might result in it being caught and dispersed.

2. Yes.  The Variable Move is applied to the Maximum Movement Distance for the appropriate terrain.

3.  The ambush must not be visible from anywhere within the opponent's half of the table.  So an ambush within a wood cannot be within 2BW of the opponent's half of the table.

4.  Before deployment you must give the date and army list number of your army.  Some, but not all, tournament organisers also require any allies and list specific options (i.e. nationality, theatre of war etc.) also to be specified.   When deploying an UG you must specify all its characteristics, troop type, armour, quality, weapons, shooting skill and other characteristics.  You do not need to indicate if an UG is allied or not.  Generals are only declared when commands have been selected (the quality of the C-in-C will be determined from the opening dice roll colour!).   It is good etiquette to bring the list (from the list sets) should your opponent wish to see it, and to bring your selected army list to verify the army you played with is correct after the game.

Tournament organisers may vary any of these guidelines (which are in the free introductory PDF) if they choose.

Hope that helps.

Richard

madmonkey

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 03:06:17 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 10:21:29 AM »
And a warm purple welcome aboard form me.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

madmonkey

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 09:44:55 AM »
Thank you very much Simon. And hopefuly our community can attend some international tournaments this year or next year.

I come back with one more question regarding the example in the file attached:

Unit A charges unit B, since Unit A started the turn in front of Unit B the combat does not count as a flank charge despite the fact that it contacts unit B in its flank.
Can Unit B use the option to align at the start of the movement phase? If so, how will it align?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 10:20:53 AM »
In this situation by the rules you generally cannot align as the front base in contact (for either UG) would move more than 1BW  (PDF edition page 74, 6.C:5).

I say "by the rules" because in a friendly game or in a situation where it won't make any difference, I will align by moving one UG back and across so that it is lined up frontally against the other base in contact.

Richard

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 09:19:26 AM »
In this situation by the rules you generally cannot align as the front base in contact (for either UG) would move more than 1BW  (PDF edition page 74, 6.C:5).

I say "by the rules" because in a friendly game or in a situation where it won't make any difference, I will align by moving one UG back and across so that it is lined up frontally against the other base in contact.

Richard

However, note pdf 6.C.5.1 (my emphasis):

The 1BW restriction only applies to front rank bases in contact with an enemy UG. Any
other base movement cannot exceed 2BW. Front rank bases in contact with an enemy
flank but not as a valid flank charge may ignore the 1BW restriction to align with the
front edge of the file contacted if all other restrictions are obeyed.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 12:31:07 PM »
Thanks Lawrence,

I forgot that I had added this to allow for this sort of situation.

Richard

madmonkey

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 09:30:49 AM »
But in this case, wouldn't the bases of unit B have to pass over bases of unit A in order to align? Or is there no such restriction?

Given that unengaged bases can move 2 BW, does that mean unit B can just simply align with no issue?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 10:39:03 AM »
But in this case, wouldn't the bases of unit B have to pass over bases of unit A in order to align? Or is there no such restriction?

Given that unengaged bases can move 2 BW, does that mean unit B can just simply align with no issue?

There is no such restriction.
Yes.

madmonkey

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 06:51:03 AM »
Hello,

We just had another tournament in Bucharest (I'm quite happy about winning it with my thracian lowland + 3 highland allied contingents) and as with every tournament, we now have many questions about rules that we are not sure if we interpret them correctly.

1. If a SuG declares a charge on a SuG, then a TuG declares a charge on the SuG that declared the charge. Can the SuG that declared the charge have a charge reaction?

2. Regarding "engaging in melee when already in combat:
-does the contact between the TuGs have to be corner to corner (or can it be front to front)
-when does the alignment to engage in melee happen?

3. Can you use an MF1 action to start a combat with an enemy unit if you are at 0.5 BW away from it?

4. Do we measure when a broken TuG causes KaB tests on allied units from the point where they were broken, or from the point after doing a rout move?

5. If an infantry units is broken by a cavalry unit in frontal combat. And the infantry unit routs 3BW, does that mean that the cavalry units will also only pursuit 3BW instead of 5BW? (as it will stop in the infantry unit being pursued)

6. Do missle focused TuGs (that are not devastating chargers nor charging lancers) ever get free charges?

Sorry for having so many questions, most of which are probably very clear in the rulebook. But it always helps to make sure that we are playing correctly.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 07:23:27 AM »
1.  No, if the SuG is contacted by the TuG it will be destroyed.  You have to be very cautious about charging with SuGs.

2.  I am not sure I understand the question.  If the TuGs were already in front-to-front contact then they would already be engaged in melee.  This section applies in the Movement Phase.  (This might need a topic by itself).

3.  No.  You can only use an MF1 or MF2 move if you are already in combat. 

4.  Point where they were broken.

5.  Yes, the routers are only removed from the table AFTER the pursuit moves have been completed.

6.  Only against enemy SuGs.

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 09:29:50 AM »

I can't find this in the rules or errata. Could you point mw to where it says it?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 10:31:02 AM »

I can't find this in the rules or errata. Could you point mw to where it says it?

PDF edition Page 58 (5.C:4).  Free charges * any UG with any charging lancers or devastating chargers that has an enemy SuG  directly ahead within 3 BW.

I believe this is the only situation where a missile-focused TuG gets a free charge.  (Okay, I should have mentioned the DC or CL!).

Richard