Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Balancing army lists  (Read 315 times)

Baz baziah

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Balancing army lists
« on: January 16, 2024, 05:10:49 PM »
How do you go about creating a balanced army list from scratch? I want to design some lists for Armies outside the real world from fantasy books like David Gemmel and Terry Brooks.
I'm not looking to publish them, only use them for my own games.
Some rough guidelines on min max for compulsory troop types and such?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing army lists
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 07:20:14 PM »
Good question.

I am not sure there is any particular formula.
Generally you don't want too many superior or exceptional types. (I believe only about 1 in 15 lists actually have Exceptionals) and similar for skilled shooters.
Armies that fought in mountains or woods would have more loose formation infantry.

Most lists tend to have about 4 compulsory UGs.  (With hindsight I think that is too low).
Army lists were designed for 10000 pts, so most allow for 15,000 pts ish of choices.  This determines maximums to some extent.  Clearly not much point in allowing a maximum that would exceed 8,500 pts as it would never be reached.

Hope that helps.

Richard

SteveO

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 09:13:01 PM »
Richard - I share your suspicion that the minimums in the lists might often be too low.

Onurbm

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
  • Wuji
    • View Profile
    • Ost de Rueil Malmaison
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 11:24:51 AM »

Well , yes and no … you will need more list to cover same period . See various imperial Roman where smaller police or expeditionnary forces would be composed of whatever is at hand and not need 4 legions …

🧙‍♂️🐯🐲🎋
Bruno
La question n’est pas de savoir si nous aurons le temps mais bien , ce que nous allons faire avec le temps qui nous est imparti .
GANDALF

SteveO

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 10:50:56 PM »
I think MeG is aimed at the larger battles of the period rather than the myriad of small scale skirmishes and encounters that occurred. As such I think armies should tend to reflect the typical army composition of the period rather than the unusual. Of course, there are will be exceptions and the late Roman is a good example of that, particularly in regard to the amount of cavalry taken. Perhaps there could be a few lists in such instances?

While probably not practical for MeG, I have seen other rule sets in different periods use a random army selection process. This would meet your requirement for simulating generals having to make do with what is available.😁

Jilu

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 06:32:15 AM »

Most lists tend to have about 4 compulsory UGs.  (With hindsight I think that is too low).

More than 4 would be a problem for allies
Liberate me ex infernis

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 06:36:11 AM »

More than 4 would be a problem for allies

Depends if they are different troop lines in the list or not.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."