Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Warwagon as target  (Read 1721 times)

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Warwagon as target
« on: December 08, 2022, 10:21:06 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, as I never used or faced a WW in MEG yet.
Does it has cover if shot at (like barricades) ?
Seems logic (at first glance) but is not explicitly mentioned in the rules I believe.

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Warwagon as target
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 11:07:35 AM »
From the QRS there is  an upgrade if artillery shoots at WWG but never is there a downgrade mentioned nor a cover ( that might need a clarification )

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 11:09:04 AM »
Aaargh...   

Yes it does count as cover if shot at.  And no, I can't find this explicitly mentioned in the rules....

The fact that this seems to have been missed off the rules is so bizarre I am wondering if I have overlooked something. 

Richard

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 11:15:06 AM »
This is from 2019 topic :
BATTLEWAGONS
Add to page 103 B4 so it reads "they may not charge, skirmish, run away, pursue, flank march or ambush".
BWgs have no flanks or rears for combat purposes - all edges fight as if front edges.
Note they claim barricades benefits in Charge Combat, Melee Combat and shooting - so have cover all round.
BWg changing from 2x2 to 4x1 formation can only drop back a single BWg base into the forming column per contration action, so they go through an intermediate formation with 1 wide at the front and 2 side by side at the back of the forming column.

In the rules ( compendium ) there is no more mention of the "shooting" only that if attacked while in column they have barricade . So the question might be : do they have cover vs Shooting  also when in line ?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 06:36:31 AM »
The intention is that they should have cover whenever they are shot at.  This does appear to have been missed out when the compendium version was produced.  It was in the original version.  This will be corrected in the clarifications and PDF edition.

Note:  Cover doesn't count against artillery and artillery actually get an upgrade against battlewagons, so whilst Experienced Bow etc would shoot on a Black dice, Experienced artillery shoot on a Green dice...

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 07:02:44 AM »
The intention is that they should have cover whenever they are shot at.

Line and column or just column?
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 09:04:06 AM »
Line and column.  Whenever...

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »
So different from combat where the Barricades only apply in column?

Think I'd go with them only applying in column whether combat or shooting.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 04:05:33 PM »
Ah - ok, so was an oversight, that is why a new pair of fresh eyes always helps, ignorant of the past :).

@Nik, why limit to Column, surely in Line they are still 'covered' inside their wagons ?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 04:19:01 PM »
Ah - ok, so was an oversight, that is why a new pair of fresh eyes always helps, ignorant of the past :).

@Nik, why limit to Column, surely in Line they are still 'covered' inside their wagons ?

For the same reason they don't count the Barricades in combat when in line - not properly set up so not getting the full benefit.

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 04:23:05 PM »
cover in wagons is the same, regardless of them being in battle array or not, no ?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 04:45:08 PM »
TL:DR no.

Long answer - actually, can't be arsed, but it will boil down to getting the protection for men an animals in the right place to be effective cover.

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 04:59:55 PM »
euh... not sure I understand all your acronyms ...  maybe because I am not a native speaker ?

So if no cover/benefit while moving WW, why did they bother to protect their horses with wooden panels and men staying inside
during move...

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 05:01:51 PM »
Leave it for shooting as protection in any formation and direction.
The combat piece is more about set up which involved putting chains between wagons.
As mentioned soemthere thy did put panels to protect the horses.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

Tommy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 03:36:44 PM »
Can I offer my opinion please? It seems that the best way to handle Warwagons is possibly to give them a maximum TuG size of 3 rather than 4, and say if they're in column, they count as barricades for both shooting and combat, but if in line they just count as barricades for shooting.