Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Break off for devastating chargers  (Read 832 times)

Mago

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Break off for devastating chargers
« on: November 16, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »
Hi

Having just returned from the Warfare comp, I'd like to get a clarification on F2-F4 break off moves. During a game, my devastating charger chariots broke an enemy cavalry unit and therefore pursued. As F1 control pursuit is not an option for dev chargers they charged straight into a line of waiting spear. We fought this combat in the next charge phase. As the chariots are now at some disadvantage to the spear, when I had a card I used an F2 break off. All well and good so far.
During the next game, my opponent was coincidentally on the next table and came over to say that we had done that wrong, that dev chargers cannot break off. I cannot see on the play sheet anything which supports this view. The rulebook page 145 also has no prohibition I can find on dev chargers not being allowed to break off nor in the dev charger characteristic on page 204. For dev chargers, like Gauls, surely breaking off so they reform and charge again is a sensible strategy for them, if somewhat tricky due to their tribal status?

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Break off for devastating chargers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 07:26:12 PM »
There are no prohibition for DC to break-off .

Now your chariotry had just to wait after impact, move and melee to break off but it seems they survived it

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 06:53:44 AM »
Agreed.  There are no prohibitions on DC breaking off.

Richard

Onurbm

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
  • Wuji
    • View Profile
    • Ost de Rueil Malmaison
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »

Interesting . Extra enthusiastic have enough brain and self control to break off and go again on more favorable terms in this game … noted

But even when missile armed , a and charged in the flank they do not have enough Witt to evade and come back later… also noted

I have to take note as this is not intuitive to me 😉
Bruno
La question n’est pas de savoir si nous aurons le temps mais bien , ce que nous allons faire avec le temps qui nous est imparti .
GANDALF

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 12:02:28 PM »
If charged in flank, and have enough room (and the right card), then they may be able to countercharge.  If missile armed, they cannot evade but they are not subject to forced charges.

Richard

Mago

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 07:16:45 PM »
Thanks for those replies gents.