Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2019-07-20-21 -- WINTERCON, Canberra, Australia  (Read 1227 times)

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
2019-07-20-21 -- WINTERCON, Canberra, Australia
« on: March 16, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
Mortem et Gloriam (MeG) at Wintercon 2019.

********PLAYER'S PACK ATTACHED********

I'll be Tournament Organiser this year.

Where: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Date: 20-21 July, 2019
Game size: 10k
Games: 4 (2 per day)
Timing per game: 3hrs, 30mins (so very new player/army friendly)

update: Major Prize draw for those that register and pay by 30 June and play all days. (See post later in this thread for details!)

Looking at doing prizes and/or trophies for, depending on numbers:

Major trophies:
* 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
* Best Painted (player vote - army must be self-painted)
* The Spoon (last place)

Minor trophies:
* Best placed per Period. (IF at least 14 players - update we have hit 14 already!).
* Berserker (most generals killed)
* Reckless (most generals lost)
* Player's Choice Army (player vote on the army they find to be the coolest, most fun, interesting, ballsy, or whatever criteria they wish to employ, regardless of painting - Cannot win this AND Best Painted - will defer down if same person)

Also a prize for Best Terrain.

Lots of Lucky Door prizes (indeed, most of the non-trophy loot will be random lucky door - so attendance gets you a chance at loot!)

Plenty of advance notice to sort out leave/significant other permission slips.

This is the anniversary of the first major two-day MeG comp in Australia, so let's get a great turn out!

Cheers,
Dru

(later in this thread is a big post on trophies and loot)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:58:53 PM by Dru »
Facebook group Canberra Wargaming Mates:

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-07-20-21 -- WINTERCON, Canberra, Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »
other ideas for prizes/trophies are welcomed, as is prize support!

We love a good turn out. Please consider coming along!

@CanberraWargaming

martymagnificent

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »
Never been to Wintercon before but hoping to make it down for this one.

Martin

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 12:39:45 AM »
Awesome

Spread the word and poke people to sign up!

@CanberraWargaming

martymagnificent

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 06:36:50 AM »
I know of a few people who are planning to come down from Sydney, we just haven't finalised details yet. Still busy scheming for Melee on the June long Weekend

Martin

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:40:32 AM »
Cool. Hoping to make it up for that one.

Dru

@CanberraWargaming

mad lemmey

• MeG Moderator
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »
Ahem, this is what you all need to avoid!

8) ;D :-*
List bounced...

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 12:02:31 AM »
Incentive to tank!!

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:51:32 AM »
Now added the player pack as attachment to original post!

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 03:49:08 AM »
Hi.

WinterCon Mortem et Gloriam (MeG) tickets on sale now!

To encourage early registrations: for those that register and pay by 22 June, you'll go in the draw for a Cigar Box Battle gaming mat (rrp AU$149).

(Drawn at the event, when other prizes given out - must play all games)

REGISTER:
https://cgs.asn.au/winterc…/register-now-for-wintercon-2019/

I have 9 Sponsors, so far. Should be a decent loot table, on top of the plethora of trophies.

I will advertise Sponsors (with much gratitude) in coming weeks. Please do support those who support events.

TOURNAMENT PACK:
https://mortem-et-gloriam.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=268.0

Cheers,
Dru Moore.
TO, MeG WinterCon 2019

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »
**Original post shared to the MeG players Facebook group.  Posted here for those that don't use FB**

Mortem et Gloriam (MeG) at WinterCon 2019 (Canberra, Australia) approaches!

We have an epic trophy and prize pool! Check out the list of awards and Sponsors in the comments below (FB couldn’t handle such a big post, so I’ve put it into comments).

As always, please support those who support our hobby events!

There will be trophies and/or prizes for these following categories. The rest of the prize pool will be random selection  to give the biggest number of players the chance to take home something cool (share the loot!).

1st place
2nd place
3rd place
Best painted
Berserker
Reckless
Best army
Best terrain
Best placed: Chariot
Best placed: Classical
Best placed: Early Asian
Best placed: Later Asian
Best placed: Early Medieval
Best placed: Later Medieval
Best placed: Africa & Americas

There is also a great keep sake for each participant. At the start of the event, every player will receive a 9 BW MDF MeG measurement ruler (see pic). 9 BW is the standard deployment maximum, so this will be a great deployment aid. Thanks to @modulerTerrain for the fantastic giveaway for each player.

In the comments that follow is a quick shout out to our FANTASTIC sponsors and what they are providing.

Trophies
Thanks to the awesome @willdenham for the hand painted Wooden Spoon (last place) – all the way from the UK!  (See picture below).

Thanks again to @modulerTerrain for the amazing trophies (see pictures). Sebastian generously donated all his time on the trophies to give us these great products: including their design, cutting, airbrushing and assembly work.

Prize Pool

EARLY BIRD PRIZE:
Everyone who has paid registration by the Early Bird cut off (30 June 2019) will go in the draw for an amazing @cigarboxbattlewargaming gaming mat.  This is done at the end of the event. The draw will include everyone who paid by the Early Bird date and played/bye each game (ie: dropping out = no ticket).  The mat is the grassland 2 (#410) you can see in the picture below and here: http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/grassland-2-4x6-plus-410
A tremendous prize from the folks at CBB! I personally have a bunch of their mats and adore the products, and their excellent service.

MAJOR AWARDS:

1st, 2nd, 3rd place Prizes

1st-3rd will take home their trophies from @modulerTerrain AND blisters of great 15mm models from the folk at @ForgedinBattle AND vouchers from @lurkiofigures !!

The trophy colours align to the best dice/cards in the game. You want red 

There are 3 @ForgedinBattle (FiB) blisters each for these 3 armies:  Spanish, Later Achaemenid Persian and Celtic (see picture).  1st will pick their preferred army, then 2nd, then 3rd will receive the final great prize from Forged in Battle. A generous and awesome prize contribution from our friends at FiB! Don’t forget to check out their new Dark Ages miniature and terrain range coming soon from a recent KS! I have a few armies with their kit and am blown away by how they produce such quality at great prices.

1st will also receive a £20 voucher for the @lurkiofigures store, 2nd will receive £15 and 3rd will receive £10. Lurkio is managed by the MeG author himself and is currently undergoing a range revamp to make their collection even more epic. Have a look at the great variety of figures available! I’ve been tempted by those Inca figures for a while!

Best Painted

To encourage those who put in the extra effort on their armies, we’ve teamed up with @lurkiofigures to provide a prize: a MECS01 - Middle Eastern Camel trail (see photo below).  We also have a great trophy from @modulerTerrain. I’ve made the trophy on par with those for 1st-3rd, to encourage and reward this aspect of the hobby.

Wooden Spoon (aka last place)

Coming last is now cool! Take home this fantastic hand painted, one of a kind, wooden spoon (see picture). By the same artist (Will) who provided the spoon last year, this is sure to be a crowd pleaser... or at least lovely compensation for crappy dice, luck and decisions. Thanks @willdenham.

Minor Prizes/Random Draw

Best Terrain

To encourage beautiful tables, @lurkiofigures asked to provide a prize for Best Terrain. Of course we won’t say no! They have provided a SACS01 - South American Camp Set (see photo). So buy or build the best looking terrain you can, and let’s make our tables a big selling point for those wandering the gaming halls! You may even take home a little reward for your efforts.

Random Lucky Door Prize Pool
(for everyone except 1-3rd who already received a ton of loot)

We will draw until we run out of stuff! Player comes up and picks what they want. Then next draw, etc.

Early bird was already noted earlier – the great mat from our great supporters at @cigarboxbattlewargaming

My wonderful friend @BauedaBerni (Baueda Wargames) has provided an amazing 50% off voucher for their entire range (except pre-painted). I have a Baueda figure army and it is glorious. And of course, their camps and decorative pieces are famous in the gaming industry. Check them out! What a great prize. Thanks Baueda! This will be a highly desired prize for sure!

Dean of @OlympianGamesAU is the Australian distributor for @mortemetgloriam and is providing $2-for-$1 prize support. Closer to the event I’ll have a handle on how much we have left of the prize pool $ to give to Dean in exchange for vouchers. Should be one or two nice vouchers for the players to nab! In addition, at their WinterCon booth, @OlympianGamesAU will be offering 10% off all 15mm ranges to MeG players during the show. A great opportunity to flesh out existing armies or start a new one! Many players especially make use of Olympian Games extensive range of bases (including magnetised bases) and trays.

Ray at Essex Miniatures Australia is doing us a real solid with 3 vouchers! These will provide 50% off the price of miniatures they sell up to a certain retail value (3 vouchers, one each of 50% off for retail of $300, $200 and $150). A great deal! With such an extensive range, maybe there is an army waiting for you at 50% off!  I’ve recently bought an elephant ton of lead off Ray to finish my Classical Indians. I am loving how the Pachyderm spam is coming together!

Thanks to the world renowned Nic at @eurekamin for also providing a $2-for-$1 prize support, so we have a $50 voucher to give away at the prize table. I have quite a bit of their kit in various historical and fantasy armies. There is something for every gamer at Eureka!

@BattlefieldAccessories has also come to the party with a $50 voucher. Those who follow my blog have seen his excellent paint racks that I use (easiest MDF kit to assemble ever!) and I am now setting up a fantastic Halo LED light painting rig I bought off Mike. Check @BattlefieldAccessories out for great MDF kits!

My favourite pre-painted camp’s and villages come from Mike Elliott. I have bought a number of his products and they are fantastic. He is happy to collaborate on custom pieces and also sells a lot of his camps and villages on ebay. Mike is providing us with TWO of his great camps. Have a look at the pictures of various pieces of Mike’s work. We are very fortunate! I encourage you to check out his ebay page or drop him an email. Thanks Mike!

A shout out to Sebastian of @modulerTerrain who collaborated with me to produce the wonderful trophies and medallions for WinterCon. He is only charging the tournament for the materials cost (minimal) and donated all his time to design, cut, paint and assemble the awards. Without someone like Sebastian willing to support events, we wouldn’t have such great and varied awards. Thanks mate. In addition he made the 9 BW deployment rulers for players to have as functional keep sakes from the event. If you are after bespoke dice, trophies or MDF or acrylic cutting, drop him a message on facebook or visit his webpage! Sebastian recently made a custom airship for my D&D campaign, complete with moving parts and removable floors. He’s a genius!

Finally, a note to say thanks to @simonhall of @mortemetgloriam who allowed me to use his logo on the awards, and for such a great ruleset. He is hoping to make it across to Australia sometime in the next 12 months for an event.

Trophy/loot note:

Trophies & medallions supplied by @modulerTerrain (see photos).

Major awards:
•   1st place (trophy and a bunch of loot from @ForgedinBattle and @lurkiofigures)
•   2nd place (trophy and a bunch of loot from @ForgedinBattle and @lurkiofigures)
•   3rd place (trophy and a bunch of loot from @ForgedinBattle and @lurkiofigures)
•   Best painted (trophy and prize from @lurkiofigures – army must be painted by the player)
•   Wooden Spoon (hand painted spoon – last place)

Minor awards:
•   Berserker (axe medallion - most generals killed)
•   Reckless (broken shield medallion - most generals lost)
•   Best army (scroll medallion – doesn’t need to be painted by player. It is just whatever army people find the coolest – design, look, ballsy choices etc. Cannot win this and Best painted)
•   Best terrain (prize from @lurkiofigures – doesn’t need to be made by the player – just make our tables the best in the hall!)
•   Best placed: Chariot period (medallion)
•   Best placed: Classical period (medallion)
•   Best placed: Early Asian period (medallion)
•   Best placed: Later Asian period (medallion)
•   Best placed: Early Medieval period (medallion)
•   Best placed: Later Medieval period (medallion)
•   Best placed: Africa & Americas period (medallion)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:57:21 PM by Dru »

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
The mat from CBB!

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »
Pre-painted camps from Mike!

Let him know I sent you!

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 01:55:10 PM »
Some prizes from Lurkio! (Thanks Simon!)

@CanberraWargaming

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
More sponsors!

@CanberraWargaming