Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Couple of questions.  (Read 280 times)

accard

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Couple of questions.
« on: February 17, 2019, 02:28:10 AM »
Hi,

a couple of questions arising from a game yesterday.

First was the use of move M1 to redress ranks. My opponent used it to shuffle a single base from one end of the line and start a new file at the other end of his line. I pointed out that it had to be on  the same frontage - which I interpreted as being the same frontage in real estate. His interpretation was that the new frontage was the same width as before so was therefore OK. (He was trying to shuffle out of shooting arc)

The second issue is TuGs pushing back SuGs in the movement phase. My opponents TuG approached my SuG from the flank. Initial indication was that the TuG would continue straight ahead - it still had 2BW plus of movement remaining after contact. I chose to run away with my SuG to my rear. My opponent then wanted to wheel his TuG to follow the SuG with his remaining movement. How does this get adjudicated? Does the SuG have to nominate his choice of option  at the moment of contact, with the TUG then being free to alter his direction of movement with the rest of his move, or does the TuG have to declare his whole move before the SuG chooses his response?

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:55:33 AM »
1) No, same frontage means where you were, not shuffled along by one base width.  IMO that is clearly manipulating the language for ones own purposes and is wrong.

2) Chargers are allowed to follow troops that evade.  There is no such provision for troops that are pushing back SuGs. The rules however do not make it clear on the sequence of events and when the player with the TuG has to declare their direction.  I think a clarification is needed.   (My opinion is I would move the TuG to the position where the press forward applies, then move the SuG run away and then allow the TuG player to complete their move including any change of direction).

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 09:30:40 AM »
RJC spot on

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

Dru

• MeG Moderator
  • Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:48:47 AM »

2) Chargers are allowed to follow troops that evade.  There is no such provision for troops that are pushing back SuGs. The rules however do not make it clear on the sequence of events and when the player with the TuG has to declare their direction.  I think a clarification is needed.   (My opinion is I would move the TuG to the position where the press forward applies, then move the SuG run away and then allow the TuG player to complete their move including any change of direction).

This is where declaring the move # clearly to your opponent is so important. ie: if declared (and paid for a direct-ahead) cannot suddenly turn it into a wheel?
Facebook group Canberra Wargaming Mates:

@CanberraWargaming

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
I agree this is a slightly unclear area.
Here is the updated diagram from vs 2 draft.
Keen to see if that clears it up.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:04 AM »
And a ore complex real one done that way....

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
What the diagram doesn't cover is option 3, where the Velites choose to run away to their rear.  Can the Gallic warriors follow them? 

I would rule that the Gallic warriors have to move as they declared until the point where they would have contacted the Velites original position.   At that point the Gallic player has the option of wheeling to follow the Velites or continue moving straight forward.

Richard

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
If this is a push back rather than a charge response my intent was that theu st make their original move.
The changing direction was when attempting to destroy things.
Essentially for push back the TuG declares it moves and the SuG responds.
Nothing further.

Happy to consider what I need to change in rules if that isn't clear.

Si

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:43:58 AM »
Okay - then the player pushing back the SuG has to state what move they are going to make before the player with the SuG decides which option to take.  The rules need to make that clear.

nikgaukroger

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
Okay - then the player pushing back the SuG has to state what move they are going to make before the player with the SuG decides which option to take.  The rules need to make that clear.

I've found it is oftenplayed that way, however, it would be good to have it clearly in the rules.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:10:57 PM »
Will make clear in new version and add to clarries now.

Si