Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Later Zhou/Early Northern Song  (Read 1159 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Later Zhou/Early Northern Song
« on: August 09, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
Something from over the weekend. 15mm Khurasan Tang cavalry to be used as Later Zhou/Early Northern Song guard cavalry. Replacing some stand in troops with ones that are (probably) a bit closer to what they should look like following some advice from Duncan Head (who else?)  8)

Colour scheme based on an illustration of Song troops:

Dated a bit later than the army I'm doing, but seemed a good source to base them on.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Later Zhou/Early Northern Song
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 07:07:42 AM »
To go with the cavalry a unit of infantry.

Marker figure to be used to show when the front rank is in Close formation as they are Flexibles in the list and there are only so many bases of them I want to paint up  ;D
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
LOL Nik, your 'marker' to cut on numbers to paint surprised me, especially as you seem to be painting quality figures at the rate of a modern machinegun !
Seriously, am very curious how many minutes/hours you spend on finishing a standard unit of say 24 infantry, starting from bare metal to fully based.  Or did you found the holy grail of painting and dont want to share your secret...
If so, I turn you over to the paint tax collector !
:)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:34:34 AM »
Thanks. Another infantry unit done in the last few days.

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »
NOOOOOOOO - HOW can you do just another unit in a 'few' days ???   Unless you paint non-stop day and night ????
On average I think I need almost an hour per figure...not counting the 'drying' time for varnishing/gluing/texturing bases.
Surely I must be doing something completely wrong..
How many illegal workers do you employ in your cellar ???
 :o

From a frustrated amateur...facing an ever increasing pile of lead

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 10:15:09 AM »
I don't do anything fancy. It is block colours followed by an ink wash - the aim is that they look OK at gaming distance, if you look closer you'll see the flaws and the bits that I haven't actually painted as you don't really see them. Doing a unit at a time means that by the time I've put a colour on the last figure in the batch the first one is ready for the next colour.

Hunter

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 12:50:43 PM »
They are very nice never the less Nike.
Dishonour before defeat!

Hunter

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Often simple is best ......
Dishonour before defeat!

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
Given how rubbish they turn out when I try anything other than simple ...  ;D :o

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 02:43:39 PM »
well, the proof is in the eating, so cannot wait to see some of them in person, up close - maybe in Ascot in Nov...
inch'Allah  ;)