Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rules that make no sence to me !!  (Read 103 times)

Robin

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Rules that make no sence to me !!
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:33 AM »
Devastating charge infantry v Cavalry. Surely if infantry count the bonus, the Cavalry should get the fighting v moving infantry bonus. You can't devastatingly charge/countercharge jogging on the spot.

Combat shy, Devastating charge infantry !!! How on earth can you have one with the other. Combat shy means they are reluctant to get into close quarter fighting.

Shoot and charge/charge only cavalry. Just because the charge move or opposing charging unit starts outside 3 BW why can't they fire at the 3 BW pt. If outside 3 BW sury they have more time to prepare a volley. Dosent make sence to me anyway.
Regards
Robin

nikgaukroger

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Rules that make no sence to me !!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:38:07 AM »
Devastating charge infantry v Cavalry. Surely if infantry count the bonus, the Cavalry should get the fighting v moving infantry bonus. You can't devastatingly charge/countercharge jogging on the spot.

Does seem a touch odd that one. Guess you could fudge an answer by saying it just reflects their ferociousness and isn't about their momentum.

Combat shy, Devastating charge infantry !!! How on earth can you have one with the other. Combat shy means they are reluctant to get into close quarter fighting.

Just guessing, but I suspect it is for troops who whilst a bit rubbish could occasionally supprise the enemy and get an effective impact charge together justifying the Shatter.

Shoot and charge/charge only cavalry. Just because the charge move or opposing charging unit starts outside 3 BW why can't they fire at the 3 BW pt. If outside 3 BW sury they have more time to prepare a volley. Dosent make sence to me anyway.

Short answer - it appears that the Byzantines didn't start their charge until in bow range so that is a useful model to base the mechanism on; making your charge from further away means the troops did not get their tactics right and so suffer a bit.

Also suspect it is partly just a game mechanism for balance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:42:19 AM by nikgaukroger »
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:16 AM »
First one just ferocity over 5-10m.  Arguable but decided to leave in and give hem a chance.

Second a list issue.  Either an error as a bit odd or RJC found some troops he wanted to fight as "poor" dev chargers but didn't want them having waek morale or be easy targets for shooting.  I can dream up such a possibility but can't think of one.

Third is about the charge starting from bow range and then found the mechanism was healthy a it make the skill difficult to use well rather than dead easy.  Reflects to me the Byzantines getting their way doing and ordered prepared shoot & charge,  which an enemy might mess up for them.

Si

Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

craig.w

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »
The combat shy devastating chargers - are they Frisian? I came across some at skull rollers last year - long spear, devastating chargers, combat shy. I assumed the combat shy was to take away the extra plus of the long spear, otherwise they would be hitting other foot at +3. 

Roger

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »
Also Combat shy suggests reluctance to fight not inability, historically sound like a typical forced Ally or particularly savvy Mercenaries hovering waiting for easy pickings

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • MeG Moderator
  • Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:18 PM »
The combat shy devastating chargers - are they Frisian? I came across some at skull rollers last year - long spear, devastating chargers, combat shy. I assumed the combat shy was to take away the extra plus of the long spear, otherwise they would be hitting other foot at +3.

Yes. With the added bonus that you can run them in mixed TuGs of 9 with Protected and unprotected.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
Interesting list decisions there then.
Make enough sense to me.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

badhabum

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
Well here and there you may find swabian and bavarian superior combat shy cavalry  8)