Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: color printing !  (Read 1201 times)

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
color printing !
« on: May 28, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »
Hmmm - is this the beginning of the end of 'manual' painting ?

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/41685-mimaki-makes-3d-printing-exciting-with-robust-technology-vibrant-colors.html

I wonder if it will have a positive effect on the hobby by attracting new players (not skilled or interested in painting) ?
Interesting times we live in...
 8)

Agoz

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
Re: color printing !
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 05:14:07 PM »
If they price their prints similarly to hero forge I think it might be too expensive for a mass combat game. I skimmed the article, so if that isn't the case I apologize.

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 05:32:27 PM »
Yes, , today is probably not yet affordable, but I was referring to the future...where 3D printers will be as common as
mobile phones today.  I own a 200 USD 3d printer and is great for terrain - a complete 28mm Samurai village and castle, 1/72 cut-a-way U-boat for gaming, easy and cheap.  As quality improves and prices drop, I predict you will be printing your own - 'painted' armies :) - while you sleep.
How many 'youngsters' do actual paint nowadays, they dont seem to have the patience for it, as they live in an 'instant' world. So 3D printing might be the 'saviour' of our hobby - before we get extinct and 3d video games take over...

steads

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »
How many 'youngsters' do actual paint nowadays, they don't seem to have the patience for it, as they live in an 'instant' world.

Certainly in the UK there are many very talented young painters, in one of my local clubs some are stunningly talented. However, they mostly don't play "Old-Man Historical" games or if they do, not  that often. Kings of War and Age of Sigmar have many figures often beautifully painted, doubtless consuming many hours. So I am going to play the "that is B0!!05K3" card.

PSC Pacto boxes and Pacto, as a fast play enabling format, may attract some new historical players from their ranks but don't make the mistake of thinking that the 15-35 demographic does not paint: they do, just not Byzantine cavalry or Qin infantry en mass.

Maybe to help attract this demographic we should be "telling-the-story" of the great armies and tactics. Low-brow battle history in game, and audience, friendly terms might be more attractive then the deep (and to me interesting in a "glad I haven't had to do the research" kind of way) debates about weapons and tactics evolution and the representation of them on the table-top.

Some of the recent MeG reenactments of known battles are a step in this direction but are still couched in terms of justifying the game as an historical representation. We don't have write-ups of Bjorn and his Viking marauders being fought off by the brave, tattooed, Pictish defenders of Fidach with tales of daring do with fortune and the fates intervening. We tend to write like historians rather than bards: there are some very entertaining exceptions (Fluffy's adventures on Will's Blog for instance and Madaxeman) but perhaps more would broaden the church.

Now I am not volunteering to lead or write all this, I am neither entertaining enough or time-rich enough, but I would be interested in participating in some way should others take up the baton.

Well that evolved from "I know some talented young painters" to a call-to-arms rather quickly :) 8)

RocketSix

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »
How many 'youngsters' do actual paint nowadays, they dont seem to have the patience for it, as they live in an 'instant' world

I also disagree - the young gamers I know put all the old ones to shame. They are not afraid to commit time and money to a project. Take a trip around a GW tournament and see the quality of the armies . Then take a look at historical games with spaghetti pikes and curled felt for terrain . It’s not hard to see why it’s not an attractive proposition.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 07:10:08 AM »
How many 'youngsters' do actual paint nowadays, they dont seem to have the patience for it, as they live in an 'instant' world

I also disagree - the young gamers I know put all the old ones to shame. They are not afraid to commit time and money to a project. Take a trip around a GW tournament and see the quality of the armies . Then take a look at historical games with spaghetti pikes and curled felt for terrain . It’s not hard to see why it’s not an attractive proposition.

Indeed.

It is our part of the hobby that needs to improve how the games look  :-[
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 03:04:52 PM »
Well printing villages might be fun  8)

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 09:26:30 PM »

I also disagree -

Very happy to be proven wrong here !  For the very few youngsters I met personally who were exposed to our very niche hobby (at least on the 'old continent') - including my own son, painting seems to be a high threshold to start.