Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Atheling's Byzantines- Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit Complete!  (Read 1221 times)

Atheling

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Atheling's Byzantines- Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit Complete!
« on: March 26, 2021, 08:00:12 AM »
Here's the latest unit finally complete- or nearly complete as I forgot to to matt the banner down prior to taking the pictures but I positively refuse to go back and retake the pictures now  lol. I'll probably post some 360 degree images of the individual bases in a few days so the banner will be seen in completed then.

I also thought the banner to be a bit on the bland side but as the Unarmoured Skutatoi basically run of the mill plebs I'm not too anxious about this and will probably go for something similar on the next unit of Unarmoured Skutatoi which I am working on currently.

A load more images are available on my Just Add Water Blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2021/03/unarmoured-early-byzantine-skutatoi.html

Lanceflint

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: Atheling's Byzantines- Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit Complete!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 05:38:18 PM »
Superb, more please! 
Lance.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 06:13:44 PM »
Fabulous!

congratulations!

PUNCH

Atheling

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »
Thanks guys  :)

As I promised in my last post of the Unarmoured Early Byzantine Skutatoi Unit Complete I managed to find some time to take some close ups of the bases.

And why not?

My preference for basing the miniatures in large units to have a degree of synergy and interaction between figures goes back quite a while to when the Perry twins first produced their Agincourt to Orleans range in metal. The sculpts in that particular range were so dynamic, so suspenseful so full of life they just screamed out "vignette style basing" to me. To help illustrate my point, here are a few quick pictures taken by David Imrie (Saxon Dog to many) of the Perry HYW stuff completed many a moon ago:

I have tried to achieve something similar with my Aventine Miniatures Early Byzantines; but in a more uniform manner. I think the more regimented look of the units just says Eastern Roman/Byzantine discipline a little more then the "all out scrum" look of my HYW English. With the Byzantines I have made an effort to try to get the Command Models to look as though there is a high degree of interaction and a sense of suspense whilst the rank and file are either, depending on the units, standing their ground, fighting or, in some cases, just milling around waiting for action.

Here they are, "Warts and all":

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »
Superb looking unit.

They look very fierce - I feel sorry for the Goths and Persians that have to face them!

Atheling

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 07:52:26 PM »
Superb looking unit.

Thanks Nathan  :)

They look very fierce - I feel sorry for the Goths and Persians that have to face them!

I wouldn't mind one bit as long as I got to roll some dice at long last  :)

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »

I think you speak for us all there!

Atheling

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »

I think you speak for us all there!

I know. It seems like an eon  :'(