Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Byzantines  (Read 1144 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Byzantines
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
Been doing other stuff for a bit but have done some painting over the last few days. Some Byzantine cavalrymen to be used as Vadariotai in my MeG Nikaian Byzantine army. Lurkio 15mm from their Nikeforian range but they look reasonable for the period 200 years later as well I think.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Byzantines
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »
A small unit of Byzantines for my Nikeforian morph - these are for use as somewhat second rate thematic troops hence the lack of armour and old fashioned shields. Essex figures for a quick and easy unit - plus the rest of the army is Essex so they'll fit in  ;D

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:01:06 PM »
Wasn't really happy with the general's bases I had for my Late Thematic Byzantine army and so flogged 'em off and replaced with these. Figures are from Forged in Battle's Byzantine ranges with added standards. LBMS transfers on the shields.

jamie

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »
Love these Nik, coincidentally just taken delivery of a large box of FiB nikephorians for the next project. now I'm torn between using either extra FiB chaps for the bases or maybe mixing in lurkio (for fun things like fire syphon chaps standing about on command bases)

Is your horse barding metallic or have you gone with laminated felt/bison hide effect/interpretation? The description by phokas doesn't mention metal plates (I think), but doesn't fit my mind's eye impression of cataphracts. Even if that's more cataphracts of an earlier era/of Sassanid/late Imperial Roman use

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
3 of the 4 generals have full horse armour which I've painted as coloured so would be the felt/leather option. All the other figures are on half armoured horses which I have done as metallic.

They are for my later Thematic Byzantine army and so the full katafraktoi kit is a new introduction, as are the kite shields, so I've not used many of those but the metallic half armour is long established so used it for the majority.

FWIW all these figures came from packs from the Thematic range - I think the katafraktoi in that range are nicer than those in the Nikeforian range.

Oh, and for my katafraktoi unit I've done the horse armour as metallic - can't recall exactly but I think the Sylloge Tacticorum may mention both metallic and non-metallic for them, but even if it doesn't ...  ;D

jamie

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »
Agree with you re thematic range cats looking better/nicer (their classification/splitting of thematic/nikephorian ranges seems a bit ...wayward... in some cases) Unfortunate as I've ordered Nikephorian range cataphracts so far but at least they match the osprey illustrations. Good call re metallic v fabric

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 09:32:04 PM »
metallic or not metallic your paintwork is great!

because when you see the figures unpainted… ok you see around if there's another maker who have some else. Unfortunately Alain Touller figures are unavailable, he got the best range ever (RIP Alain  :( ).

PUNCH