Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ALEXANDRIAN MACEDONIAN  (Read 5543 times)

pikeman

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: ALEXANDRIAN MACEDONIAN
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 07:59:05 PM »
SNIP!
Tip: cut off or file the boss on the shield, then put the decal and paint in metal the white in the middle of the shield (real time saver)  ;)
PUNCH "from the White Rabbit song, one to be small ;)"

This is a headslapping moment. Sure, why not? Makes life soooo easier and with 15's nobody is going to notice, or care!
regards
Pete

Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 07:08:24 AM »
Great looking miniatures.  Am I right in thinking you have used the Army Painter quick shade products on these?  If so, you have managed a much better result than I have seen on many 28mm figures.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »
Great looking miniatures.  Am I right in thinking you have used the Army Painter quick shade products on these?  If so, you have managed a much better result than I have seen on many 28mm figures.
No Army Painter on them! just hours of practice, patience, experimentations and thousands figures painted since the 90'
per example on the Hypaspists pikemen:
black primer spray undercoat, once dried (hair drayer is your friend  ;) ),heavy zenithal of WRAITHBONE spray  once dried (hair drayer is your friend  ;) ),
1- a layer of skeleton bone contrast paint on all the figure
2-all the black parts painted in... black (hairs, spearpoints, etc...)
3-contrast paints colours, begin with the lighter shades, then the darkest colours. the use of a chromatic circle can help.
4-highlights with regular acrylic paints(Vallejo, Coat of Arms, GW) here and there on the contrast paints , just to add "contrast and neat finish".
5-satin acrylic varnish spray
6-12 hours later, basing with pumice tainted with yellow kaki 976 vallejo

before the release of the contrast paints, I still use inks (spectralite inks, Golden inks, Liquitex inks)thinned with high flow medium on white primed bases and wraithbone bases depending on the result I search, there's some tutorials and step by step on my blog if you want to have a look.

Kind regards.

PUNCH

PS: thanks a lot to all the painters who shared patiently their knowledge,hints, tips and ideas with me since my beginning in the hobby.

Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 08:03:46 PM »
Thanks for that.  It was just some of the effect on the helmets looked like the quickshade only the rest of the figure didn't look grimy as Army painter sometimes causes.
I hadn't considered contrast paints.
Thanks.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »
Hi,

one more phalanx ( two more taxeis completed).
the figures from Xyston Miniatures, some are greek pikemen to add variety ( and represent the greek replacements of the losses of macedonian pikemen, my fluff!), the decals from littlebigmen studios, I just put a white dot of acrylic paint to pop up the white star.

more macedonian to come ....(of course ;) )

Be seeing you ;)

PUNCH

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »
Another really nice unit there  :D
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Rino

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 01:01:31 PM »
They are splendid, you better sit on a stable chair when he will tell you his trade secrets and how fast it was painted

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 07:51:11 PM »
Hi,

more macedonian optional troops, all are from Xyston Miniatures, decals from Littlebigmen studios ( some are handpainted "where is charlie?"):

firstly the prodomoi ,one of my prefered style of troop ( needed 6 figures in the WRG 7th, 3 bases in DBM, 4 bases in FOG, now 14 figures in MEG ;) )

then the rhodian slingers (painted very very simply to experiment something very fast): 

and the last TUG I added to the army the terrific and expensive mercenaries the infamous thracians:

many close up " really"! 8)

first "wave" nearly finished with the thessalians and the mounted thracians to come...

I hope it will taunt JAMIE ;) to post his 28mm macedonians .

Be seeing you ;)

PUNCH

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
Hi,

the end ( at least the first phase) of the Alexandrian Macedonian army with the thessalian and thracian mounted

I hope you liked them and now it's time to get in a new period and a new painting project

Be seeing you ;)

PUNCH

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 08:24:26 AM »
Why do I suppose I might meet some AlexMac at the open tournament mid-october Lille

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
Why do I suppose I might meet some AlexMac at the open tournament mid-october Lille

Hi Jacques,

I hope I could paint two or three armies up to mid october ;)
don't  bet your shirt I will play alexmac or you will finish bare chest in october  ;)

Cheers.

Gilles

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2021, 09:35:18 AM »
You mean I might show my beatifull beerchest  ;D

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 12:11:57 PM »
You mean I might show my beatifull beerchest  ;D

yes of course  ;)

jamie

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
Apologies, PUNCH. - this probably not worth the wait, now UK lockdown allows me to visit my old family home I managed to dig out one foundry 28mm phalangite sans sarissa (painted approx 15+ years ago), plus some Greeks who I think were to use the Macs as allies for WHAB or similar. It looks like the ranks need some dressing/organising too... potentially there's a force for a 28mm magna army there, though 15mm Alex Macs/Hellenes is the most tempting project thanks to your earlier pics

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2021, 08:57:07 PM »
No apologise and no worry ;)
it was the style of painting and basing we used in the end of the 90' to play WHB.
The style of painting evolves every time influenced by what we see around us, the material is very different from the enamel of the old time to the modern contrast paints;
the books of the genius Kevin dallimore strongly inspired many of us, the foundry paints used by the fantastic Ian speed on the 15mm and 28mm and his advices when I met him in Britcon also changed my vision on the hobby, the french masterpainter Mr BOB is a major influence ( "many times faked, but never matched!") and all the great painters I forgot to cite.

tips and tricks: copy, experiment, fake, experiment, practice, experiment, ask questions, practice... more you paint, more you progress.
one of the nice french painters I follow always sign his messages by a " put colours in your life!".

Happy painting and share pictures of your progress on the forum.

Cheers.

PUNCH