Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Hammer Armies  (Read 296 times)

DylanB

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Old Hammer Armies
« on: March 07, 2021, 02:53:44 PM »
My friends revived Warmaster recently and we played a few games on Tabletop Simulator. 

I found myself thinking "well, this is ok, but I wish it was MeG."

Seems like the Old Hammer world would be a good target market for Fantasy MeG.  Many people have existing armies both in 10mm Warmaster and larger scales.

Has anyone tried or is anyone actively working on adapting (in a non-intellectual property infringing way of course) old hammer armies lists for Fantasy Meg?

NyteLJ

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Old Hammer Armies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »
Id love to see this as well.

Id be pretty comfortable trying to convert definitely not the armies of Ulthuan to a MeG style list.

General could be any professional or instinctual to show the varying quality between the Nobles, and up to Legendary for the Champion of the Everqueen.

Citizen Levy, archers drilled flexible, skilled, power bow (showing elven bow power and accuracy), protected and unprotected options.

Citizen levy, spearmen, drilled close, superior long spear, shield wall, shield cover, shove.

As a start, high elves should be expensive per TuG and often be out numbered.

Agoz

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 01:59:35 PM »
I don't know if I'd give any army except the empire drilled, they are, after all, the only professional soldiers in the world. Elves are very skilled, owing to their advanced age, so superior melee or skilled shooting makes sense, but at the end of the day they are still levy.
Maybe sea guard and white lions? I think I remember those being military jobs. Ooh! And army wide fleet of foot.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:54:47 PM by Agoz »

NyteLJ

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 06:21:00 AM »
All the Warhammer armies books have always described the High elf spear units as having regular training and being well disciplined.

High Elf Spearmen are the elite, second-tier citizen-militia within Ulthuan's armies, acting as a disciplined line of warriors that puts even the most battle-hardened Human warrior to shame. It is only after a decade or more of fighting as an Archer and once his worth is proven, does a High Elf then become a spearmen. After years of training a regiment of High Elf Spears becomes a finely honed killing machine.

In their training each spearmen is trained to instinctively know the mind of his comrades in the unit, fighting as one body when in battle. In combat this translates to each warrior moving as if it was a part of a carefully choreographed plan, such as overlapping one another and providing protection, or opening the defenses of the enemy without so much as a spoken word or nod. The fierce discipline of High Elf Spearmen is famed all across the Warhammer World, earning them a reputation that rightly puts fear into the hearts of their foes.

Thats from 7th Ed army book which would indicate drilled to me. Especially if it was going to be given to Empire State troop equivalents.

But certainly happy to discuss.

Agoz

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »
Seems like a pretty good argument to me! I was mostly going by how they played on the table. State troops get their detachment mechanic, Elf spearmen don't get an equivalent. But I suppose that would be more how state troops interact with other state troop units and less on how they move as a unit on their own.

Agoz

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »
By the way, shouldn't they be graded as pikes? I recall them getting an extra rank of attacks over other spearmen.

Agoz

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 06:33:57 PM »
Here's some statlines for ogres, let me know what you think!
Ogre Warriors: tribal loose, protected, superior, devastating chargers, shove, fleet of foot.
Ogre mercenaries: formed loose, protected, exceptional, unskilled firearms, devastating chargers, shove, fleet of foot.
Goblin Scavengers: tribal loose, unprotected, poor, unskilled javelin, combat shy, expendable (representing their role in ogre society and the presence of trappers)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:55:02 PM by Agoz »

NyteLJ

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 01:47:48 AM »
Yeah I was tossing up pikes vs long spears, could go either way.

Maybe the empire option could be block moves can have an extra TuG?

Ogres look pretty good to me.

NyteLJ

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 01:20:12 PM »
I threw this together, still missing a few units like sea guard. Can also generic up the names to avoid any issues.

Hopefully this comes across as skilled, but always fighting outnumbered type list.

I might give Slaves to darkness or Skaven a crack next.