Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Additional Historical Scenarios  (Read 186 times)

DennisH

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Additional Historical Scenarios
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:21:49 PM »
Hey guys,
 I have picked up a copy of Age of Attila from my local game store. I love it. I am currently colleting the miniatures to paint for both armies for Catalaunian Fields so I can introduce new players to MeG. Simon have you given any thought of making scenarios for Milvian Bridge, Adrianople or Strasbourg? After painting the troops for Catalaunian Fields I have a good start on forces for these other battles and the plus of having an Osprey Campaign book available at the sore for new players that enjoy the game can get into the Fall of Rome area with ease. I personally would love to see some additional historical scenarios added to this site for the Fall of the Empire. Id love to hear anyone else's  thoughts.
Dennis

Doomsmile

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Historical Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »
If Simon and company were interested in producing supplement books, that would be an interesting place to start.

Warhammer Fantasy (of all things) did something really close to what I think you’re describing, Dennis. In one edition of the rule book, all of the special missions were presented as “historical” battles from the setting, taking a page and a half to describe the canon battle and how to replay it, then having about a half-page or so describing how to run it as a generalized scenario between any two factions.

Presumably a dedicated scenario book on real-world events would spend a great deal more than a page or so describing the real history behind the scenario, which could provide a really useful jumping-on point for new players— especially when it comes to armies that are less well-known in the popular consciousness.

(Take all of the above with due skepticism— I am neither a publisher nor a market researcher. :P )

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:05:52 PM »
If Simon and company were interested in producing supplement books, that would be an interesting place to start.

Something like the "Age of Attila" book you mean?

More have been commissioned.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

DennisH

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 04:05:17 PM »
I am not thinking a new book because of the cost in time and money for production. I was thinking if some scenarios could be added here on the site for us who have purchased Age of Attila and have forces painted up for the era. Ago of Attila only has one scenario in it.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
What do you mean by "historical scenarios"?  If you are referring to battles, none of the other battles in the period have a sufficiently detailed description to enable a reconstruction. 

Richard (author)

DennisH

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 02:31:44 PM »
Lionheartrjc
Yes I meant historical battles. Sorry for any confusion. But I must say with Osprey Campaign books already available for Adrianople (84) Milvian Bridge (296) and Strasbourg (336) the information is not as lacking in my opinion.
After buying Age of Attila and the miniatures for the Pacto refight for Catalaunian Fields, when I am done painting them I have a good start on the forces for the other battles I mentioned.
I seem to be a promoter of new game systems in my area. Introducing new people to new games is what I enjoy. After having painted the miniatures I am working on for Catalaunian Fields I feel it would be nice to give new gamers some direction on the era of the Fall of Rome. I was not asking for formal supplement books because of the expense. Adding the three battles as refights I mentioned here on this site would be an inexpensive way to accomplish this.
Just a thought.
Dennis

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 03:38:14 PM »
But I must say with Osprey Campaign books already available for Adrianople (84) Milvian Bridge (296) and Strasbourg (336) the information is not as lacking in my opinion.

I think that when Richard said other battles in the period he would be referring to the C5th as the Roman empire in the west declines and disappears and not the C4th when things were somewhat different.

If you have those Osprey's I'd think you are in a good position to knock up a historical scenario for those battles - although like any other ancients battle there are other interpretations than those in the books  ;D

FWIW I did a couple of armies for Argentoratum/Strasbourg for something that never progressed so they are not finalised. I drew the Romans up based on the information that can be pulled together for Julian's army from various references in Ammianus (and maybe Zosimus) and then an Alamanni to about the same points value on the basis that points value can be used as a sort of "army fighting value" as used by Sabin in his Lost Battles and that armies often have roughly equivalent "fighting values" (otherwise they wouldn't have fought unless really forced to do so).

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 05:54:33 PM »
Lionheartrjc
Yes I meant historical battles. Sorry for any confusion. But I must say with Osprey Campaign books already available for Adrianople (84) Milvian Bridge (296) and Strasbourg (336) the information is not as lacking in my opinion.
After buying Age of Attila and the miniatures for the Pacto refight for Catalaunian Fields, when I am done painting them I have a good start on the forces for the other battles I mentioned.
I seem to be a promoter of new game systems in my area. Introducing new people to new games is what I enjoy. After having painted the miniatures I am working on for Catalaunian Fields I feel it would be nice to give new gamers some direction on the era of the Fall of Rome. I was not asking for formal supplement books because of the expense. Adding the three battles as refights I mentioned here on this site would be an inexpensive way to accomplish this.
Just a thought.
Dennis

The Age of Attila book doesn't cover the period for the other three battles.  That is what I was referring to.

Richard

DennisH

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 06:02:21 PM »
Thank you Nikgaukroger. Very helpful!!
Dennis