Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Liao  (Read 330 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Liao
« on: February 10, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
As well as the Khmer army I am starting a Liao army - one I've had an urge to do for a while but never started it as there are no suitable Khitan figures available in 15mm (no idea about 28mm). However, a discussion on the SoA forum suggested that the Khurasan Miniatures Mongol figures could be a good approximation* which was the excuse I needed  ;D

This is the first cavalry unit towards the army. I have made some slight modifications to the riders in that I have filed off the peaks from the helmets that had them, removed the plumes they all had, and rounded off the helmet to make them closer to the examples that survive. FWIW plumes are not wholly out, but I am aiming for the figures to look like the ones in the illustrations in the Eighteen Songs of a Nomad Flute where none are shown.

* as could some of their Song and Jin ranges, but I went for the Mongols as the shoulder armour looked closer to my eye.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Liao
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:03:58 PM »
Hi Nik,

well done! nice paint and conversion work (thanks for sharing it).

Kind regards.

PUNCH

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:46:44 PM »
I think conversion may be overstating what I did  ;D

A bit of modification is all I'll claim.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:05 AM »
Very nice. The painting of the horse armour looks especially good and I like the basing textures. Where are the tufts from? they look really convincing and not at all plasticky, like most.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 08:21:18 AM »
Think I got them from here - https://www.serious-play.co.uk/

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »
Here is my second unit for my Khitans. Unarmoured horses this time but still the slightly modified Khurasan Mongol cavalry. Might well do the next batch in darker armour for a change as it is the most common (IIRC) on the 18 Songs scroll. Also wondering if all the ordo types should really be on armoured horses - which as I have already bought figures may not be the most sensible thing to be thinking ...   :o

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »
Nice paintwork Nik!

will they survive to the "Genghis World Tour "? 8)

Cheers.

PUNCH " overconfident  Frenchjester ;) "

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 12:33:50 PM »
More of the Khurasan Mongols (15mm) slightly modified to be used as Khitans. Have decided to mix light and dark armour on the men rather than just the lighter colour I used before - means I had to go back and redo some figures of course  :P

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 01:55:39 PM »
Khitan war crimes - civilians being used as human shields to take incoming missiles ...

Khurasan figures.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
Chinese subject militia for the Khitan army - could be troops from the infamous "16 Prefectures"  8)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
Also this morning finished off a unit of fully equipped Khitan ordo cavalry for my Liao army. As with the other cavalry these are slightly modified Khurasan Mongols and are quite large 15mm as you can probably tell - makes ranking up a tad tricky  :P

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 08:50:48 AM »
Last batch of the ordo cavalry

Ambiorix

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »
beautiful. Will need a huge can opener to defeat them :)

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 12:04:54 AM »
one more great paintwork on this unit!
congratulations Nik!

Cheers.

Gilles