Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Angkor Empire  (Read 451 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Angkor Empire
« on: January 30, 2021, 07:34:09 AM »
Having bought the lead for this army thought I'd do some reading. In "The Armies of Angkor" there is the following drawing from one of the reliefs at Banteay Chamr:

This looks to be an archer shooting from behind large free standing shields - obviously getting protection as indicated by the arrows sticking in one of them. As the archer has a jacket he would be one of the Drilled archers in the army list.

Suggests to me that Pavise should be an option for these archers.

There is also this - speculate wildly ...

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
Re: Angkor Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:39:55 AM »
Pavise, or merely behind fortifications of some type?   Any indication that these shields were carried?

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »
Context does not appear to be fortifications, it is a battle scene I believe. All shields carried are smaller than these and no archer has a shield; shields are used by spearmen.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »
Another thing from reading Slingshot articles by Nicholas Spratt is that the Khmer reliefs do not always show cavalry but do always show elephants (well apart from the naval ones). Perhaps the Angkor Empire list should not have a minimum on the cavalry but have one on the elephants.

Ambiorix

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 02:45:24 PM »
Hi Nik,
I case you dont have it yet, I can  highly recommend the book ' L'armement et l'organisation de l'armee Kmere' by Michel Jacq-Hergoualc'h - Presses Universitaires de France, 1979, unfortunately in FR not sure if this was translated in English. It depicts and describes all reliefs of Angkor Vat, Bayou and Banteay Chmar.
These shields are indeed described as 'stand alone' for protection in combat but there is also a relief at Bayou of a soldier wearing one horizontally on the march attached to a cord around his shoulder (although smaller in size, but same shape). He describes these shields as having a wicker made extension (the 'loops'  depicted on top of the shields in your picture).
He is  also puzzled by the strange 'machine de guerre' (pushed by a soldier on each wheel) which the author concluded was either a movable shield or an ancient predecessor of a chariot.
FYI, I had the pleasure to visit Angkor Vat but the details on the reliefs in reality are less visible than the drawings in the book, in case you wondered :).
Cheers,
Martin

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 08:46:27 PM »
Thought I'd bump this idea up again as it seemed to be left somewhat unresolved back in January - or at least RJC didn't come back with a definitive "No"  ;D

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:43 AM »
Thought I'd bump this idea up again as it seemed to be left somewhat unresolved back in January - or at least RJC didn't come back with a definitive "No"  ;D

Already allowed for in 2022 list changes.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:12 PM »
Nice - wonder where I can find some suitable pavises ...

Jilu

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 08:59:52 AM »
Nice - wonder where I can find some suitable pavises ...

make them yourself?
Liberate me ex infernis