Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Triplex acies  (Read 173 times)

JayM481

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Triplex acies
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:10:00 AM »
I've put this in List Queries, but maybe it could be in Rules Questions or Discussion so if it needs to be moved, moderators please do.

I think I understand that MeG is unencumbered by scales, but is there an "intended scale? " It strikes me that the mid-Republican Roman list could easily represent the maniples, with a TUG of 5 bases representing the hastati (2 bases), principes (2 bases) and triarii (one base), but the rules don't seem to allow the triplex acies quincunx formation, which is fine if a TUG represents a full legion (though the shooting ranges get a bit funky when that's the case). Also, is it possible to replicate the "passage of lines" between the three lines when in combat?

Jay

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
Re: Triplex acies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:43:01 AM »
Jay,

Scale is a very tricky question in many wargames rules and MeG included.  Remember MeG uses the term TuG (and SuG) because of these issues (page 36 describes the idea pretty well).

We deliberately avoided trying to simulate the triplex acies with a passage of lines and focused on does the army have the right "feel" instead.  I think it is difficult to be certain how the manipular system really worked.  The first two lines (hastati and principes) seem to have fought together in a chequerboard (or occasionally one behind the other with columns - as at Zama) but what exactly was the tactical effect?  Clearly it was more flexible than a single "phalanx" but this is represented to some extent by needing only one rank to count combat factors, the ability to make moves whilst in melee and that they are drilled.

MeG is a game not a simulation.  It is possible to set things up as a simulation but this involves a lot more complexity and at the end of the day might not come up with any different results.

Hope that explanation helps.

Richard

JayM481

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
I guess "feel" is what I look for in a game, though it's individually subjective. That's sort of where I was going, was the feel of a manipular Roman army as best as we know it. I guess the fact that we know more about it than most contemporaries is a blessing and a curse. I've seen some players' forces layed out in the formation (for display, I assume), so I was wondering if I missed something and there was a way to play that way.

Thanks,
Jay

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:19:31 PM »
You may want to take a look at

http://thefrenchjester.blogspot.com/2021/01/mortem-et-gloriam-compendium-rome-au.html

This shows how a Republican Roman army might be represented.

Richard

JayM481

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:29 PM »
Thank you for that. Interesting. He alludes to a way to play it, though doesn't explain. It looks as if each 4-base TUG is a maniple. In game terms it looks fragile.

Jilu

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
well given there is an impact weapon it is best to try to use it at its best advantage : impact - melee - break off - impact and so on
Liberate me ex infernis

PUNCH

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:33:22 PM »
well given there is an impact weapon it is best to try to use it at its best advantage : impact - melee - break off - impact and so on

Jilu is right ;)

Velites SUGs covering the manúuvres of the maniples (all is in the table of manúuvre), recoils of the Hastatii TUGs spent, replacements by Princeps TUGs, Triarii TUGs to cover the flanks , Roman cavalry TUG for the parade ;)

don' t be worry if you lose all your battles and troops, in the end ROMA will become an Empire ! ( History prove what I write :) )

Kind regards.

PUNCH

ps: PUNCH  is a Mid Republican Addict since the WRG 7TH Edition, don't follow him to far in his delirium or you will never recover  8)