Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bits and pieces from the "to paint" pile  (Read 3522 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Bits and pieces from the "to paint" pile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »
Rather than some new figures a unit of stripped and repainted figures I already have. These are Grumpy's Miniatures Ghurids. They are modelled with the mobile pavise interpretation of the "karwah" - looks different from anything else even if you don't believe it to be correct  ;D

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »
Been a bit quiet but got round to adding some flags to some Legio Heroica ghilman.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 11:31:33 AM »
Following those I have added some flags to my mamluks.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
And a few more flags done this morning. The ones on the infantry are for my Almoravids and I think they should really be white, but I liked the colour of these so went with them  ;D

jamie

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 06:50:07 PM »
Excellent as ever - like those cavalry . what's your preferred flag/banner material/technique? These are applied to fully painted miniatures? I've used foil so far for LBMS transfers/hand painted designs and can't decide if it's the best option.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »
Cheap printer paper and a cheap inkjet printer is my method  ;D

I mention it in my latest blog post - https://gamer-at-the-end-of-time.blogspot.com/2021/04/uncage-colours-unfurl-flag.html

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 08:34:36 AM »
Han horse archers and nomad horse archers - all Lurkio.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »
As well as new figures I'm slowly doing some refurbishment of some older stuff - or in this case a complete strip and repaint.

Grumpy's Ghurid infantry with the rather improbable, but distinctive representation of the karwah as a sort of large wheeled pavise pushed along in front of the troops.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2021, 08:43:44 AM »
Also a couple of bases of mamalik with banners. Already have bases with banners but those are most suitable for Ayyubid/Mamluk armies, these allow a couple of units to look more suitable for some other armies  ;D

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 09:36:33 PM »
When I recently flogged off a load of figures that I had decided I  was never going to use (my Thematic/Nikeforian Byzantines) I rather foolishly included the 8 bases I used for the Vardariots in my Nikaian Byzantine army  :o

So these are the replacements. Donnington Magyar cavalry as it happens. I don't believe we know what they looked like and as I was ordering some figures from Donnington anyway these seemed reasonable - suspect the armour over the legs is a bit wrong though.

Hunter

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2021, 09:58:28 PM »
Very nice. I like the way you stick to a predominantly limited palate of colours.  It works well.
Dishonour before defeat!

jamie

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2021, 12:30:08 AM »
Very nice. I'm currently wondering the best models/colours for vardariots too. The Magyars are a nice choice sculpt wise - close enough to the look of the rest of the army without being just standard armoured horse archers. I wondered about using
mix of tukopouloi cav/Turkish types as they're re settled Turks aren't they? Though the amount of "Romanisation" of arms/armour/dress is probably unknowable. Can't see how armour over knees/legs is a massive deal breaker

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 08:13:59 AM »
Very nice. I like the way you stick to a predominantly limited palate of colours.  It works well.

Helps getting them done quickly as well  :)