Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bits and pieces from the "to paint" pile  (Read 3523 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Bits and pieces from the "to paint" pile
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:50:44 AM »
Couple more units emerging from the "to paint" pile - Alans and Huns. The former are mainly Donnington from their older ranges - still quite nice figures IMO but I think the moulds are getting a bit tired now so not quite what they were. Huns are PSC plastics - cheap and cheerful  :)

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

WarpaintFigures

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
    • Warpaint Figures
Re: Bits and pieces from the "to paint" pile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 11:08:45 AM »
Looking good.  I hope I can do mine justice like this when I get around to them

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 02:20:25 PM »
Mamluk general and a unit of cavalry to be the guard when they have ArmHrs. There is a reference to the issue of steel horse armour to the guard covered in red velvet - OK, it is from a bit later than the style of these figures but a bit of licence and all that   ;)

Figures are all Donnington with, of course, LBMS shield transfers.

Just need to add some suitable Mamluk flags now - again thin evidence but enough to go on I think.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 10:47:48 PM »
A camp to go with the Mamluk cavalry posted earlier. A red tent/pavilion is mentioned in one, or maybe two sources as being set up for the sultan - one at the siege of Acre in 1291 CE IIRC. Might add a flag to this later  8)

Plantagenet

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
Great looking figures.  FWIW I think the background is distracting somewhat from the figures in this case, or maybe it's just my eyes LOL.  It's as if the overall grey / green is blurring with the armour on the riders.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 03:51:48 PM »
A bit back on the SoA forum this picture was posted - figures used for (presumably) Murabit or similar Berber infantry.

[img ]https://i.imgur.com/m4O0N1l.jpg[/img]

Inspired by this I went and ordered the figures and shields to do my own - a downright blatant copying  ;D

Mainly done with GW contrast paints as these seem to work well for this style of figures.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 07:45:04 PM »
A wodge of Legio Heroica 15mm Arab archers bashed out quickly mainly using GW contrast paints. In all honesty doing these for completeness rather than they'll figure highly in my armies, so the quick contrast paint job approach is OK for them  ;)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
From the "to paint pile" a snit of 15mm Legio Heroica Arab cavalry with LBMS shield transfers. Now need to remember why I needed another unit of them - must have had an army composition idea sometime that required them  ;D

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 11:52:33 PM »
nice paintwork Nick! (as usual I should ;))

inspiring to paint new units and completing more toolboxes :)

Cheers

Gilles

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
File boxes for me not tool boxes - I have filled 10 since April last year  :o

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »
A unit of Turcoman cavalry to add to my Muslim horde. Had no idea I had this until was going through the "to paint" pile; not even sure why I bought them as I have loads of these guys. Ah well, not unusual for a wargamer I guess  :o

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
Those look really good. You turn out good looking units faster than i can paint a single figure!

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 06:17:22 PM »
Nik is so fast that I suspect the intensive use of little hands and eyes working for him in his basement to help him ;)

ok I must confess that it's a pure speculation of mine who are also bad tongues when they are alone in my basement :P

congratulations for your brushwork on them Nik! one day I should paint some of them ( ok, when I will find the figures in my lead pile :) )

Cheers.

PUNCH "a view from a hill (of lead)"

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 08:09:47 AM »
Something a bit different, some early Japanese archers with pavise style standing shields. Outpost 15mm.

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 06:44:54 PM »
Nice paintwork Nik!
excellent contrast between the green shirts, the dark armour and the pavises!
another cool project!

Cheers.

PUNCH