Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More late Romans - vintage Minifigs 15mm  (Read 82 times)

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
More late Romans - vintage Minifigs 15mm
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
I've painted a couple more infantry units of my Late Romans. Although this leaves a few spare figures that I plan to eventually (very much at the back of the painting queue) use to expand some of these to 8 bases, these are the last complete infantry units using the old Minifigs figures that I originally bought in the 1980s. The last two units of Auxillia will be modern Legio Heroica wearing chain mail into battle rather than Phil Barker's boiled leather for Legionaries and brightly patterned night shirts for the auxiliaries.

My third and final Legio Comitatensis is the Secundani Italiciani. I chose this to give a contrast in shield colour and design to the other units, particularly to include some white which I echoed in the helmet crests. Although the design looked simple enough when I chose it, it turned out to be really awkward to get the crosses wide enough to show the shade contrasts but leave enough space to get three distinct red dots. I'm looking forward to using transfers for the two units of Legio Heroica figures!

One thing I wondered about was what sort of "standard" to use. I'd just gone with eagles for the previous two legionary units and a draco for the auxilliaries but modern figure ranges seem to just have draco standards for everybody. After asking around for advise and purchasing the recent Osprey "Roman Standards and Standard Bearers (2) AD 192 - 500" my understanding is that dracos were increasingly used for legionary sub-units but the emblem for the whole legion remained the Aquila. My aquilifer is based on one of the illustrations in the book.

IIRC, in the WRG rules at the time, the typical Late Roman legionary or auxilia unit was 2/3 with spear/pilum and shield backed up by 1/3 of archers so I had 32 bowmen. I used 11 of the Minifigs ones (along with a Museum Miniatures draconarius) to make a small unit of skirmishing archers. These are painted with the shield patten identified by Luke Ueda-Sarson as likely to have belonged to the Sagittarii Venatores. http://lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html

More photos and explanation, as usual, on my blog.

https://smallitalianwars.blogspot.com

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
Re: More late Romans - vintage Minifigs 15mm
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 06:55:57 PM »
Very nice indeed  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Lanceflint

• TWZ Team
  • Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: More late Romans - vintage Minifigs 15mm
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
Outstanding. Would put 28mm figures to shame.