Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: why is the US slow to adopt MeG?  (Read 135 times)

AntiokosIII

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
why is the US slow to adopt MeG?
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
I realize I am likely to be posing this question in the wrong place. After all, people likely to see this already know how good this game is, and by how far it surpasses its competitors. People who love ADLG or Impetus or Hail Caesar are unlikely to see this. Still, the good olí US of A has been slower than other places to see the merits of MeG, and I canít figure it out. Ideas?
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

sppenn

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: why is the US slow to adopt MeG?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 02:05:33 AM »
I "discovered" MeG at Historicon last year. I was hesitant to try it, but liked it when it was shown to me. So, for me, it took seeing the game and talking with people.

After Historicon, I ran a game of MeG at the next east coast HMGS convention in November, which is Fall In. I had it set up for 6 players. Only 1 showed up. He had already bought the game.

Maybe there are too many choices in rules.  Triumph! seemed to be much more popular at Fall In than it was at Historicon.  Maybe Triumph is succeeding because it is a small game. Maybe it's succeeding because it is a derivative of DBA. Maybe it is just getting more "air time" than MeG at the conventions.

Maybe the popularity of ancients, in general, is down in the US?  I am not seeing any single rule set overwhelm the other rules sets at any convention. ADLG is being played some. Triumph is being played. For Fall In, there are 4 ancients tournaments: Warrior, Triumph, ADLG, and DBM. 

I would love to run a tournament someday, but my job is not cooperating with my gaming lately. And, I've never ran a tournament before. So, I will run my 6-person game again at Cold Wars in March. Let's see what happens.

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:09:19 AM »
I think some people are put off by the number of figures required.

AntiokosIII

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
Understandable, I suppose. I was put off by the number of figs needed for ADLG (there are so few toys...).
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:41:57 PM »
I agree- the visual aspect is a big plus.