Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: why is the US slow to adopt MeG?  (Read 392 times)

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
why is the US slow to adopt MeG?
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
I realize I am likely to be posing this question in the wrong place. After all, people likely to see this already know how good this game is, and by how far it surpasses its competitors. People who love ADLG or Impetus or Hail Caesar are unlikely to see this. Still, the good olí US of A has been slower than other places to see the merits of MeG, and I canít figure it out. Ideas?
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

sppenn

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: why is the US slow to adopt MeG?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 02:05:33 AM »
I "discovered" MeG at Historicon last year. I was hesitant to try it, but liked it when it was shown to me. So, for me, it took seeing the game and talking with people.

After Historicon, I ran a game of MeG at the next east coast HMGS convention in November, which is Fall In. I had it set up for 6 players. Only 1 showed up. He had already bought the game.

Maybe there are too many choices in rules.  Triumph! seemed to be much more popular at Fall In than it was at Historicon.  Maybe Triumph is succeeding because it is a small game. Maybe it's succeeding because it is a derivative of DBA. Maybe it is just getting more "air time" than MeG at the conventions.

Maybe the popularity of ancients, in general, is down in the US?  I am not seeing any single rule set overwhelm the other rules sets at any convention. ADLG is being played some. Triumph is being played. For Fall In, there are 4 ancients tournaments: Warrior, Triumph, ADLG, and DBM. 

I would love to run a tournament someday, but my job is not cooperating with my gaming lately. And, I've never ran a tournament before. So, I will run my 6-person game again at Cold Wars in March. Let's see what happens.

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:09:19 AM »
I think some people are put off by the number of figures required.

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
Understandable, I suppose. I was put off by the number of figs needed for ADLG (there are so few toys...).
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:41:57 PM »
I agree- the visual aspect is a big plus.

RobAustin

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:08 PM »
Hi Guys.

Sorry, been away from gaming since the holidays. Just getting back in the swing of things.

I don't know if it is the number of troops. I mean, compared to ADLG, sure, it is quite a few more. But compared to FoG it is just some more bases. Maybe that is enough. I mean, I have been having to add bases to my skirmishers and often to cavalry units to bring them up to 9 and 6. And a commander, as I usually only ran three.

But I think it may be the proliferation of rules, as already mentioned, may be a big cause. In the past, there was only one or two choices. Now there are many. And with the lower entry cost of publishing rules, we can expect that to continue.

I think also a lot of people are turned off by cards and the special dice. I know I delayed 6 months, trying other sets, until we finally tried MeG and loved it. This was mainly because I was suspicious of the card-activated command system. I had experienced Piquet, which I disliked, along with some others that I thought rather failed. So I was prejudiced against a card command game system.

Just a few thoughts.

Rob

sppenn

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
I agree about the cards.  For example, when I tried GMT's Commands and Colors: Ancients (CCA), I was very disappointed.  The cards restricted what I could do, which meant developing a strategy across several turns was difficult. I simply didn't enjoy the game, which is true for all card driven games. Therefore, when I see games that use cards, my first reaction is "No, thank you."

MeG is not card driven. I don't see the cards restricting my options. Sure, it does to a limited extent, but it's not the cards restricting me.  It's the army's command structure - drilled, formed, or tribal. Being dealt cards in CCA is too arbitrary.  There is no system behind the restrictions defined by the cards in my hand in CCA.  In MeG, I can pick a different army and the decision is mine.   

I believe MeG could be more popular in the states, but it will take effort in getting the word out and removing misconceptions based on "quick looks." 

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:46:39 AM »
I've also heard people express doubts about both the cards and the special dice. I like a "Fog of War" element to my games. That one of the reasons I liked Piquet.

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 10:40:15 PM »
I have two ideas about this, maybe three....

- ADLG is a very popular tournament set and the guys around here, if they are going to play in a tournament, want to see a lot of players.  We've done some local tournaments (in Chicago) of ADLG and when it's "just us" and it isn't that motivating.  So, if going to the East Coast, they want to be playing what the cool kids are playing
- MeG requires a lot of figures.  That was kind of a discouragement when we did FoG.  It was a lot of work (and money) to put together an army.  We only do 28s here, so that emphasizes this a bit.  This is not a disadvantage at all in my eyes - i like big games with lots of figs - but I think I'm unique in this.
- I've put on a couple of games here and people have liked it, but think of it more as a "big game" kind of rules set, rather than something you put on easily on a Friday night.  Playing more of it might change that perception, I don't know.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
I think the current version has a number of figures limitation and the growth needs word of mouth and seeing it in action.
US players are quite spread out so travel is harder and word of mouth less frequent.

I suspect therefore it is vs2 with PACTO in it that is the key to the USA.
Was hoping to have it out by now but with divorce and 2 broken hands from domestic violence it will be 2020 push.

What would perhaps be good is to have Histricon a PACTO tournament to demo the smaller game and promote?

S
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

aphilla

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »

Ouch.  Sounds painful physically and psychologically - I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you are able to get some of that behind you, and soon.

AntiokosIII

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
I would welcome a PACTO event at HCon, although I usually prefer more toys to fewer toys.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Centurion
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 07:29:12 AM »
Yes me too Dave but I think to get the USA to kick we need to show small toys and nurture players back to proper armies.

S
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple