Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 1643 times)

Jeffart1

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Newbie questions
« on: August 19, 2020, 01:39:17 AM »
Hello all, I have just picked up the MEG Compendium and I am getting ready to purchase a army or armies but I have a few questions:
1. What is the most popular scale for MEG?
2. What is the most played armies and their enemies?
3. Is MEG compatible for solo play?
   Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
Hi Jeff (I am guessing)

The most common scale for competitions is 15mm.
The most common for casual play here is 28mm.

There are no killer armies so pick whatever you enjoy.  The lists and points balance is really good now due to the way we did it. its iterated to a good answer.  For easy to learn to play pick a solid foot army.  Flexible shooty cavalry armies take the most skill to get right.

Its actually quite good for solo play as you can use the card pack to keep some mystery.  There is a set of solo play rules on the website and in the rules section of the forum.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

ShrubMiK

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 02:00:06 PM »

I'll add my voice to say MeG is very suitable for solo play.

Although I approach it slightly differently from Simon (e.g. I don't feel the need to keep the cards secret from myself, I just try to make the decisions for each side be based on what they can legitimately see in front of them, combined with the overall plan the are supposed to be working to, sometimes decided by dicing).

If you are interested, I have put up some accounts of a number of solo games, including some of my thoughts on decision making, what makes solo games work/be fun etc....see the AAR sub-forum.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:39:58 PM »
Here's a link to the solo play rules on here

https://mortem-et-gloriam.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1134.0
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

sppenn

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
Here is my opinion--
I live on the east coast and when I get to attend conventions, I mostly see 15mm games played. All of my armies are 15mm. 

My guess is that most people in the US play the armies they had for other rules systems.  From my memory, Alexandrian armies are popular, Republican armies below that, and the rest are a good mix of different time periods. 

I'm playing it solo.  Trying to figure out how to play Parthians against Romans.  I think I've figured out the tactics to use for the Parthians (mathematically anyway) and now seeing if the Romans have any counter measures.  For solo, I play MeG's Pacto rules.

RobAustin

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
Hello all, I have just picked up the MEG Compendium and I am getting ready to purchase a army or armies but I have a few questions:
   Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

1. In the US 15mm is by far the most popular scale for ancients play like MeG. There is a following of 28mm for Hail Caesar. But these are generalizations and things may be quite different in your area.
2. Classical era ancients are probably the most popular. That is Alexander and the Successors and the Punic Wars. Again, things may vary a lot regionally.
3. I hear that it is, but have not done it myself.

WillR

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:47:00 AM »
I can only speak to point 3. MEG is really good for solitaire play. The cards replicate friction quite well.