Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is this new-fangled CE for dates, and what happened to AD?  (Read 382 times)

daveparish

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: What is this new-fangled CE for dates, and what happened to AD?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 12:25:01 PM »
That was in my mind too. You never (in my experience anyway) hear someone saying they are politically correct - it's always a label being applied to someone else.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 03:02:29 PM »
You may have missed a subtle point here. Have you noticed how often some of the MEG team here refer to recent academic studies? It is part of their attitude to trying to get the history right. So using the system the academics themselves use is just a little way of indicating a serious attitude to historical research. I'm all for it.

I more there answer of why we did it. But good for a few reasons I suppose. We are a progressive group of people after all ...
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

Cavillarius

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 06:10:07 PM »
Well, the short answer with a twist: AD is Anno Domini, 'the year of our Lord', which some people find too western/imperialistic. They then went on to replace with CE, which stands for  'Common Era', as if the whole world has this system in common, or maybe it is more common in the sense that it is not religious (mind you, most people in the world are religious)...
It is no less imperialistic however, only modern world capitalist Wall Street time, rather than the year of our Lord. Just as useful, just as politically incorrect. Whatever. I just ignore it.