Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MAGNA 8's are too small  (Read 110 times)

stuuk

• Legionary
    • View Profile
MAGNA 8's are too small
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »
Since magna is supposed top be scaled at 2/3rd, shouldn't units of 8 become units of 6, rather than 4?

Mathematically it should.
Game-wise, this would also allow infantry blocks to take quite a bit of damage, as they can in maximus.
By reducing them to 4's we're making them significantly weaker than they would be in maximus - and that was not the intent.

So, my suggestion is that sixes be allowed for units of 8+ rather than 9+.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
Re: MAGNA 8's are too small
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »
Ignore the mathematics, it is about how the game plays.  It works perfectly fine with UGs of 4.

Richard

stuuk

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:05:28 PM »
Mechanically it does yes - but it also means cavalry are more powerful frontally vs. infantry who in maximus will stand for longer.
Whilst it might be intentional (?) you'll get a different result in magna than in maximus

JamesS

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »
I'm a complete newbie, but just in the middle of reading the rules so found this quite interesting.

From a maths perspective, reducing an 8 to a 6 would allow it to take 80% of the number of wounds before breaking (4 vs 5). Whereas reducing to a 4 would be 60%.
Assuming a cavalry unit is reduced in size to 2/3rds my interpretation would be that the 4 base option would be preferable as staying closer to an equivalent ratio, albeit slightly favouring the cavalry.

Whilst 6s would swing in favour of the infantry by a more significant margin.

Everything I've said may be well nonsense, as I'm not at the point of understanding any complexity yet, but as above just thought it was interesting so joined in.

stuuk

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:21:56 PM »
9 stands = 18 hits = break on 10
8 stands = 16 hits = break on 9
6 stands = 12 hits = break on 7
4 stands = 8 hits = break on 5

So a big chunky block of infantry in max with 8 stands need 9 hits to break.
Over in magna that 4 stand unit now only needs 5 hits to break.
I suppose though in terms of raw hits, it's only a 1 hit differential - 9 * 0.66 = 5.94 (6 hits) and they have 5.
You had to go with either one too few or one too many I guess.

The raw effect though is that charging lancers are a bit more effective versus foot in Magna than they would be in Max.
And James, welcome!

JamesS

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm impressed with myself there, never mind the complexity, I've managed to miss the blindingly simple bit of each base taking 2 wounds, before then trying to halve it......

As you say, end result is that it has to be 1 hit more or less than the exact ratio would aim for so either way will favour one or the other slightly.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 07:30:23 PM »
Each of the three games has it only slightly nuanced character.
This is a good thing IMO.

So yes in Magna you will find the main infantry blocks being 4s and the warband types allowed to be 6s gives it a feel of is own.  Pacto has a slightly different feel with skirmishers not slowing but with 2s around shooting can be rather scary and KaBs can cause some chaos.

No one is 'better' than the other but of course Maximus being the biggest has the ability to create balance through numbers of bases that the smaller games do not.  And looks epic.  But not everyone has access to large armies ready to go.

Si
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple