Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PSC plastic late Roman infantry  (Read 369 times)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
PSC plastic late Roman infantry
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »
Having received my boxes of the PSC plastic figures it seemed rude not to paint up a unit. Decided on another Roman unit although this one is for the C5th army and not the C4th one like the units I've painted up recently. Those were all armoured, these are a mix of armoured and unarmoured. Done as the legio comitatenses Praesidienses - or at least as close as the LBMS transfers allow. I used their Regii transfer from the Legio Heroica range; as these are larger than the shields on the figures they needed to be trimmed and them the rim painted afterwards, hence they are not as neat as just transfers would be. Still, think they have come out OK.

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
Re: PSC plastic late Roman infantry
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
Next one is less uniform  ;D  The legio comitatenses Lanciarii Gallicani Honoriani. Done as a "barbarised" unit of, say, the middle of the C5th onwards in the west as things start to get really quite ragged. So a mix of Roman and barbarian figures which gives a mix of shield types as well. Mostly PSC plastics with a few Lurkio metals in there; LBMS shield transfers go without saying  8)

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
OK, not infantry this time but a couple more units in the plastic. Light horse archers and a unit of "barbarised" Roman cavalry. For the latter I cut away the shield from the figure (easy job with sharp knife, even got me some spare shields for later use) and replaced with metal oval ones of the right size to take LBMS transfers  ;D  Figures are ones I'd say do a job rather than being anything special - but quick and easy to paint. The horse archers came from the Roman box and the cavalry from the Goth box apart from the officer and standard bearer who came from the Roman box. Draco was added to the cavalryman after cutting away his spear.

MadDocStu

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »
These look great.

Can i ask what references you are using for the colour schemes? I new to MeG and ancients (but not new to war gaming and painting) and have been reading a lot about the late roman army but can't see much on what colours to use yet - (i can imagine this is going to a life long new interest with lots to learn!)

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:45:50 AM by MadDocStu »

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
For Roman clothing this is a good resource - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Military-Clothing-Men-at-Arms-Paperback/dp/B00NPNAOO6

For shield designs - http://lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html - although of course I have used the transfers from - https://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/

MadDocStu

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 04:45:14 PM »
thanks! much appreciated. I'll post some pictures of mine when i'm done :-)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 06:08:00 AM »
Again not actually Romans but will get used with Romans.

A general's base and a unit of warband types for use with my Later Foederate Romans. Figures are mostly PSC plastics with the odd Lurkio metal in there. Shields mostly by LBMS with a bit of over-painting on some.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
A second "barbarised" legion for my C5th Roman army for MeG. Mostly PSC plastic figures with the odd Lurkio metal in there as well - mix of Roman and "Goth" figures. LBMS transfers. This is the legio Secunda Britannica which, as we know, every late Roman army seems to have - my C4th Romans have it too - it must be the law  ;)

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »
Very nicely done. I like the idea of mixing in Goths figures to represent the barbarianisation of later Roman armies. And yes, certainly every Late Roman army needs a legio Secunda Britannica!

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »
Some more not Romans but they will be in a Roman army.

Latest unit for my MeG C5th Romans, Huns to be some sort of bucellarii type unit. These are the new 15mm PSC plastic figures which are copies of the Lurkio range as you know - you could easily mix these with the metal figures and not spot the difference. Rather surprisingly (to me at least) they have kept the figures as break-waist types - I thought they were going to make them single piece - however, the torso glues to the horse easily with a blob of superglue gel and, in fact, it is much easier than making up the metal versions.