Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: <Chinese> Chariots  (Read 234 times)

RocketSix

• TWZ Team
  • Auxilia
    • View Profile
<Chinese> Chariots
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »
Interesting read in this month AW magazine (Chariot special)

Chariot classifications have been topical this year and this somewhat confirms those changes. Given the scant primary sources on the role of the Chariot (other than the 'heroic!). Interestingly Mike Loades in his Chinese showreel pits Chinese Charots vs Horse Archer and they don't compare well.

https://vimeo.com/391842786

Scott Forbes Crawford's article cites the Six Teachings and the ubiquitious "...penetrate formations", but I'm rather unsure that really is what it means given previous  "feathers and wings of the army".  The primarily shooting categorisation and increased move is probably about right IHMO.

It's really unclear what Chariots were really any good for , and perhaps the answer is 'not much', as they were somewhat ephemeral after conflict with the nomads. Given the highlight of the Zhou against the Shang was against "conscripted slaves filling out the ranks..." (Battle of Muye 1046BCE). Given at the Battle of Mo Bei (119BCE) the Chariots were relegated to protecting the infantry from the Xiongnu

I think the lists for 2020 Chinese are about right. I wouldn't really recommend the DC categorisation , and perhaps you can think of it terms of mitigating the fact a lot of the infantry are flexibly when perhaps we are being over generous

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Magister
    • View Profile
Re: <Chinese> Chariots
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:51:47 PM »
Thanks for that. Might get the issue when it is available as a PDF.

I think the lists for 2020 Chinese are about right. I wouldn't really recommend the DC categorisation , and perhaps you can think of it terms of mitigating the fact a lot of the infantry are flexibly when perhaps we are being over generous

This is pretty much how I reconciled myself to them having DC  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

martymagnificent

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:13 PM »
I can't reconcile myself to paying for devastating charger when you lose evade.
Interestingly nothing that would suggest they have to be melee expert, especially if kneeling!

Martin

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:03:40 AM »
Having rear the article and other recent materials, the battlefield role of chariots remains quite murky to me. The current rules make as much sense to me as anything, including the old’heavy chariot ‘ rules. I have been told to shut up about this, and maybe I should, but I really do not think we currently understand the battlefield role of Mid eastern or CHinese chariots, my $.02.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.